Luxor


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
June 2nd 2010
Published: June 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Luxor is a must see when you are in Egypt. It was more impressive than the Pyramids of Giza.

Our top three favorites spots were the Valley of the Kings, the Temple of Karnak, and the Habu Temple. Pick up a guide and car for the day while you are here. Just bargain at the airport when you land. We got a guide with car for 600 Egyptian Pounds for 4 people ($85). He drove us around and even recommended which temples for us to see. We didn't have Habu Temple on our list, but the guide recommended it, and it was one of our favorites.

To give you a perspective on how old these structures are, both the Greeks and the Romans visited these temples as tourists over 2000 years ago. These temples were over one thousand years old when the Romans visited. Both the Greeks and the Romans had the bad habit of carving graffiti on monuments when they traveled. The guide showed us what is believed to be Greek graffiti in the Habu Temple.

Later, the Christians reduced most of these temples to rubble. They have been put back together but it is still not what it would be. Imagine how preserved this place would be if they could have kept the Christians away. Religious wars are a bad idea kids.

We are in Ireland now. I will try to post a few pictures later today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



2nd June 2010

Amazing
Thanks so much for sharing these and all the other photos with us. It is the next thing to being there. When you consider the harm done by the christians during the 'crusades', is it any wonder why the moslems want to destroy us. Of course their religious fervor is a nuts as that of the christians. That's why I belong to the church of what's happenin now and attend St. Sniffens for services. Love to you guys!
11th June 2010

ancient art is almost similar in world
it reminds of ajanta aleora.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb