Luxor Temple


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
September 22nd 2002
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Luxor TempleLuxor TempleLuxor Temple

Statues of Ramses II at the portal to the colonnade of Amenophis III
There is so much to see and do around Luxor, and we took so many photos, that we are going to try and write a separate entry for each place ie Luxor Temple, Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens...

So here goes, our first day in Luxor...

The train ride down wasnt anything special. When we got the tickets we asked for two seats next to each other, but the tickets came back with two seat numbers no where near each other. We questioned this and we assured that they were right next to each other, several times as we did keep asking! So what happened when we got on the train, yup, we were at either end of the carriage. At least we were in the same carriage. Luckily we managed to swap seats with another group as they were also all split up and so everyone ended up with the people they wanted to be with. We travelled first class, which isnt as flash as it sounds. The seats were comfy enough and tipped back a fair way, but there still wasnt a lot of room. But there was air conditioning though!!

We
Avenue of SphinxesAvenue of SphinxesAvenue of Sphinxes

Leading to Luxor Temple, this avenue originally started at Karnak
were expecting loads of touts when we pulled into Luxor, but maybe it was to early for them (7.30am, not that early!) We picked a hostel frm the guidebook and made our way through the quiet streets to find it. It took a while to get a room, but once we had, and had got washed and changed, we headed out into a much busier Luxor.

We wandered along the Nile, now much nicer looking, still muddy but somehow cleaner. We went to the Luxor Museum, well worth a look, and the equally excellent Mummification Museum. This went all through the mummification process with display of tools (bone cutting, innard removing etc.) and mummies of people and animals (cats, crocodiles, a baboon).

In the evening we went to the Luxor Temple. We wanted to time it so we could see it all in daylight first, then in the softer evening light then finally after dark when its all lit up. What an impressive place! Massive statues, ancient inscriptions, an avenue of sphinxes (that used to lead all the way to Karnak about 4km away but now half of Luxor is in the way!) It was largely built by
Gateway to Luxor TempleGateway to Luxor TempleGateway to Luxor Temple

Flanked by pylons, enthroned colossi and a 25m obelisk
Amenophis III on the site of an older sanctuary, and has been added to bu many people including Tutankhamun, Ramses II, Alexander the Great, various Romans, and there is also a small mosque inside.

Its one of those places that is hard to describe, so hopefully the photos will show you what its like.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Main gatewayMain gateway
Main gateway

The remaining 25m obelisk and one of the colossi of Ramses II
Luxor Temple at nightLuxor Temple at night
Luxor Temple at night

You can see the minaret of the mosque insdei the temple, the colonnades around the court of Amenophis III, and a bit of mdoern Luxor in the back right corner.


Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 36; qc: 151; dbt: 0.1637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb