When things go wrong act like a local


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Kom Ombo
December 24th 2009
Published: April 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Following a heated argument and a hasty departure – where I end up losing my laptop in the process, me, dad and Ivan make our way back to Aswan to try and find a way up to Luxor (or Marsa Alam which is also along the way and great for diving apparently.



If we are to make our way to Luxor we are hoping to see the Kom Ombo and Edfu Temples along the way.



Exclusive of any felucca travel.



Once back in Aswan we make our way to the tourist office.

The tourist office informs us it’s not possible to attempt this journey today unless we aim to travel by train in the evening. The buses for the day have already left.



Not wanting to hang around in Aswan for the day we ask him how the locals travel up to Kom Ombo.



Tourist officer answers “ via a microbus stop”.



My brother asks for directions to the microbus stop.



The tourist officer is reluctant to give us directions.



“Tourists aren’t allowed on the local transport system.”



We are genuinely intrigued –
“Why?” we ask him.



“You don’t speak Arabic. It’s dangerous.”



My brother convinces him that his Arabic is excellent and before we know it we take a taxi to the microbus stop.



At the microbus stop we wait a total of 6 minutes to get on the next departing microbus, which costs us all a total of 9LE or 1.80 USD to travel to Kom Ombo.



Arriving at Kom Ombo we manage to bump into Susan and Wilson whom we had met on the Felucca tour pleased with our progress. Prior to entering the temple we meet some police officers who allow us to leave our backpacks and luggage with them whilst we travel to Kom Ombo via tuk tuk.



Kom Ombo is a complex with two temples, completed in 180BC, dedicated to the God Horus, whilst the other is dedicated to Sobek, Hathor and Khonsu. Not all the temple is accessible however, for the right price or baksheesh the guard will turn a blind eye to you having a look around.



Upon arriving back at the hang out of the police men, the good looking cop is only too happy to help us on our journey to Edfu and even helps to flag a minibus down. The minibus driver takes us free of charge to the stop over, from where we hop onto another micro bus to Edfu for 4 LE or 0.80 USD each.



After visiting Edfu temple (built in 237 BC, the largest temple dedicated to Hathor and Horus) we decide to head to Marsa Alam. Unfortunately our smooth sailing luck runs out at this point. Before we know it the driver has taken us into the wrong direction and insists we misinformed him and if we want him to take us to Marsa Alam it will cost the price of a taxi of 4000% on top of the usual price or the same cost of a private charted taxi.



We refuse and ask he return us back to where we began. Unfortunately the last micro bus has just departed to Marsa Alam and we will have to stay overnight in Edfu if we want to go to Marsa Alam. I find out at the train station there is a train passing through to Luxor shortly and it will cost 6LE or 1.20 USD per person to board the train. Tickets are to be purchased on board.



I get our change ready as I already know how this is going to play out. Sure enough the conductors come on board and tell us the cost to travel to Luxor, surprise surprise, are now 15 LE per person. I give them the correct amount – 18 LE and smile sweetly. They look at it twice, get ready to protest, then shrug and continue on.



After saving probably 95% of the normal price, and having way more cooler experiences we finally arrive into Luxor tired but satisfied more or less with our days turn of events.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb