Somewhere on the Nile


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Kom Ombo
February 22nd 2008
Published: March 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

Day 1 on the felluca. Temperature is nice, was around 35 during the day. This is the sunsetting on the Nile River.
Day 2- So the Felucca didn't quite make it to our proposed destination the first night but we pulled over along the Nile at some local village with around 5 other felucca’s. Little did we know but this was more so an organised stop as all the local village children ran down with their gifts for us to buy. Amanda and I felt bad so we bought about 6 items off the kids.

The Area where we pulled over was dessert. The sand was pretty orange and during sunset looked pretty cool. I on the other hand looked pretty Black. You can also notice my lovely sunglass marks from that day! Class!

That night we had a mini African party with the other Felucca’s. Shisha, drums and all round awesome African music. The felucca guys were awesome singers and dancers!

That night it was freezing. I was glad I had a great sleeping bag but Amanda was a little cold in her lime green. On the Felucca there was a couple from Italy. Clarabella and her partner. They didn't have sleeping bags so were extremely cold at night. We set sail around 8am and headed for our felucca
The FellucaThe FellucaThe Felluca

Where we docked at night on day 1.
captains village.

When we arrived it was crazy. It was like walking into a 40 hour famine village- but a little better off as they seemed to all have cable TV. We found out our felucca captain have 2 wives therefore had people busy building another section to his house for his second wife. We got a little stranded in the village in the case that we were taken to some people's house and left for about 2 hours. They talked (1 person could speak limited English) into having Henna tattoos done. Due to their limited English henna was one word we could make out. They kept saying 'henna?'. I basically volunteered Amanda to partake in the henna and eventually she came out with two hands full of henna. Hahah I managed to get away with an ankle. Amanda's hands were ridiculous and she scrubbed and scrubbed all day.

That night we still hadn't made it to Kom Ombo but our captain said that in the morning a van would pick us up and drive us there. That night we went to another small village and tried sugar cane (drink version) and some weird yellow yummy fruit.
Amanda day 1Amanda day 1Amanda day 1

Amanda at night 1 location alongside th Nile

So it had been two days and it was time for a big mac (our code word for number twos). This was one of the funniest things ever. Amanda hadn't been to the toilet for about 3 days and kept reminding me about her turtle...nice. Anyhow when I have to go I have to go and the immoden was wearing off so it was the missions of all missions- finding somewhere to push out a Big Mac... hmmm. We waited till after dinner when it was dark and with no light but the full moon proceeded to find a nature toilet.

Amanda basically said it just slipped out... I on the other hand felt like I was pushing out a rock melon- constipation maybe? This was followed by wet wipes and paper or as Amanda would say "wet wipe!! Hurry hurry!' Needless to say the antibacterial hand wash came in handy".

The next morning we went back to investigate. Little did we know we had actually dropped our dacks in someone’s crop...whops... oh well I guess it could be fertiliser??? That morning I needed to pee and there were villagers everywhere. I ended up going but brown eyed
Nat on the 1st nightNat on the 1st nightNat on the 1st night

This is me on the first night of our felluca adventure.
about 20 people on a bus and gave a few farmers an eye full- but when you need to go you need to go!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Moon RisingMoon Rising
Moon Rising

The moon rising alongside the Nile
Cruising down the NileCruising down the Nile
Cruising down the Nile

Felluca boat cruising
VillageVillage
Village

Amanda and I in our fellucca captians house
On our wayOn our way
On our way

In this photo we are on our way up to the village that our fellucca captian is from.
Amanda's HennaAmanda's Henna
Amanda's Henna

Why what lovely hands you have!
On the boatOn the boat
On the boat

Here is our best attempt at hippy/ backpacker peace style.
Punds in her lime greenPunds in her lime green
Punds in her lime green

This was punds favourite lime green during out fellucca trip.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb