Esna and Edfu


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Kom Ombo
October 31st 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got off the boat at 8 am to take a horse buggy ride to the Temple of Knum. Not a pleasant experience. The horses are not treated well and the drivers are very aggressive asking for tips. We were crammed 4 to a small buggy designed for 2. A minibus would have been preferable. This Temple is very interesting because it was only discovered in 1860 by a French archeologist and it took 4 years to uncover. It sits 30 feet below the town. You can still see where some of the houses and shops are located on top of the old ruins.

In the afternoon our boat moved to Edfu and we were first in, so first off. We went to the Temple of Horus which has the excellent statues of Horus (falcons) erected in front of the Temple as guardians. This Temple houses the Nilometer, a circular pit with graduated steps which was used to calculate the depth of the Nile which in turn was used to calculate the tax owed for the year. This Temple is actually Greco-Roman (1st century BC). We saw some mummified crocodiles here.

Sailed in the evening to Aswan. Everyone got dressed
Temple of KhnumTemple of KhnumTemple of Khnum

The city was built over this temple and the old houses and buildings are seen here above the floor level of the temple
up in Egyptian outfits for the evening dinner which was a bbq on the outside upper deck. Coincidentally it was Halloween at home.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb