Abu Simbel


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Abu Simbel
March 28th 2019
Published: March 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

We passed through a lock yesterday after being entertained by local traders trying to sell us outfits to wear for tonight’s party as well as tablecloths and towels. Many of us had already purchased an outfit on board or at a local market but they continued to throw things to the guests, haggle over prices and then either return the goods or send money. Some goods eneed up in the water but I think they did OK.

The galabyea party on board that night is where everyone dressed up “like an Egyptian”. An early night for us though as we had to get up early for our trip to Abu Simbel. We listened though as the bass thumped through the boat.

Up at 4am for our trip to Abu Simbel. It is a 3 hour road trip each way through the Sahara. After arriving Hassen explained the two temples. The first being the Great Temple of Ramesses II and the other for his great love Nefetari. We could only take photos outside but of course that did not stop people taking them. You could pay LE 300 for a photo ticket but many people rely on the laziness of the guards in policing it or their ability to be bribed. They are amazing tombs. The great one is 39 metres wide and 31 metres high.

On the way back we saw a mirage. Amazing.

Almost as amazing as the tombs themselves is the engineering feat it took to move them when the government of President Nasser decided to build the Aswan High Dam. Once done the temples would have been underwater so they cut them up and moved them 140 metres higher. As originally they were carved into a mountain they built a dome over them and encased it so that it looks as good as the original. Absolutely amazing.

Our trip has been fabulous and I have probably left out as much as I have included in describing the places that we have seen.

Come to Egypt And Jordan. It is safe and the people are warm and welcoming.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



2nd April 2019

Abu Simbel
We enjoyed our time at Abu Simbel. Thanks for the memories.

Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb