Joshua Snorkels as we Scuba Dive


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai » Dahab
February 19th 2009
Published: May 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The sea today was quite calm which should make the clarity of the water even better for scuba diving. Joshua was thinking about doing an introduction to scuba called “bubble maker” (you have to be at least 10 to take Scuba lessons) but he has a cold so we decide not to have him do it (it is hard to equalize the pressure with a cold). Instead, he and Evy come with us bringing along snorkeling equipment.

While Benjamin and I suited up, Joshua set up to snorkel and Evy took photos. With the wet suits on, Benjamin and I have been quite comfortable in the water (other than the first few seconds). Joshua will be snorkeling without such insulation so it will be considerably colder for him.

With the calm sea conditions, the reef is even more vivid in colour today. After doing some preliminary exercises (need for our certification) we head over to the reef with Joshua snorkeling a few meters overhead. By the time we finish our dive, Joshua is really cold but had stuck it out for over 30 minutes.

Benjamin and I did two dives in the morning, had lunch, and did one more dive. We decide to take the option of adding one more day to our course, doing the exam, and becoming “Open Water Divers” rather than just “Scuba Divers”. The difference is that we would be allowed to rent equipment and dive on our own in places around the world. Though I would imagine most dives would still be with a guide, this is an nice option for places like the Georgian Bay.

Evy and Joshua returned to the hotel after lunch. After our final dive of the day, we load up the truck and join them. With our exam the next day, Benjamin and I take turns studying the manual and figuring out the intricacies of dive tables and residual nitrogen into the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb