Sleep...who needs sleep? Mt. Sinai


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai » Dahab
April 20th 2009
Published: May 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In the afternoon at 4pm went left the town of Huargada and started the long drove to Mt. Sinai. We were in a small mini bus that lept about two feet in the air every time we went over the smallest of bumps. Sleeping was impossible and so when we arrived at Mt. Sinai at 02:20am, most of us were like zombies.

Mt. Sinia is where Moses went to get the ten commandments from God for the villagers. It is the highest mountain in Egypt and stands at 2285m. There are two paths you can take, the camel path with is a gradual ascent and takes two and a half hours and then there is the more punishing route 'the steps of penitence' which has 3750 steps. St. Catherines Monastry lies at the foot of the mountain and is said to be the oldest working Christain monastry in the world.

We climbed the mountain in pitch black, picking our way over the rocks and stones and trying not to get run over or spat at by the thousand camels waiting on the sidelines, looking for weary stragglers to ferry up to the top.

At about 5:30am we made it to the top and watched the sun rise. The light breaking through and shining on the mountain peaks below was really spectacular.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



25th November 2010

Quem não pode ir pergunta a quem pode
Tzarina, não te conheço. Sem querer achei voce quando procurei saber sobre o Egito. Vi que voce e alguns amigos tiveram passeando por la e viram de perto como foi que toda que toda essa sabedoria chegou e partiu. Gostaria de saber por voce que passaram por dentro desse astral, o que sentiu o que achou. Pode ser que aguem tenham respostas mais profundas que a superficialidade das revistas. Um abraço e felicidade em sua vida. Airton Montezuma (Airtinho)

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb