Sunrise on Mt. Sinai


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Red Sea » Sharm el-Sheikh
June 19th 2007
Published: June 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So it's been quite a while since I've written and I have so much to say, though not much time right now to say it. We're so busy these days with briefings and class and it's hard to find time to sit down and write. Thus, this will mostly be a blog in pictures, which I hope you all don't mind!

The highlights have been seeing the pyramids and the Sphinx (very cool) and climbing Mt. Sinai in the middle of the night to watch the sun come up from the top. After sunrise, we went down the 3,750 "Steps of Penitence" through an extremely narrow ravine to come out next to St. Catherine's monastery, which is still in operation.

Sharm El Sheikh, where we stayed on the Sinai, is like the Vegas of Egypt. It's crowded with mostly European tourists. Bikinis and open displays of affection are acceptable. We went snorkeling in the Red Sea, too, and now that I've thought about it, I've been in 4 seas: Pacific, Atlantic, Med, Red. Neat! Also, the Sinai is technically part of Asia, so I've been on 4 continents! Sa-weet!

On a more sobering note, today we met
At the SphinxAt the SphinxAt the Sphinx

Here's my proof!
with the woman who started the Forced Migration and Refugee Studies program at Oxford and AUC and we discussed the Sudanese refugees. I learned a lot and it's such a tragedy it breaks my heart. When I want to leave Africa, I can, but they're trapped here, practically, with little hope of resettlement and a fear of repatriation.

I hope everyone reading this will also check out our group blog on the Arizona Daily Star Web site.
http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/cairocalling

Other than that, I am admittedly suffering from homesickness and a longing for the familiar. We all got sick in Sharm, though I think it was a virus, and that made things difficult for a few days. I am beginning to really truly appreciate being an American. I come from a beautiful and wonderful country.

Enjoy the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Shadows of the MosqueThe Shadows of the Mosque
The Shadows of the Mosque

A man walks through Ibn Talun mosque, the third largest in the world.
Spirals to HeavenSpirals to Heaven
Spirals to Heaven

The only external spiral staircase minaret in Egypt, at the Ibn Talun mosque.
The Alabaster MosqueThe Alabaster Mosque
The Alabaster Mosque

Built by Muhammed Ali in the 1800s, the mosque was modeled after the Hagia Sofia. It is lovely. The entire first floor, inside and out, is made of alabaster, hence its nickname.
Ceilings and chandeliersCeilings and chandeliers
Ceilings and chandeliers

The ceiling of Muhammed Ali mosque, as seen through the central chandelier.
Alley of the TentmakersAlley of the Tentmakers
Alley of the Tentmakers

In Islamic Cairo.
The Red SeaThe Red Sea
The Red Sea

The reefs where we went snorkeling!
Sunrise on the SinaiSunrise on the Sinai
Sunrise on the Sinai

The soft light of dawn filters over the Sinai mountain range, as seen from Mt. Sinai, where Moses received the 10 Commandments.
Step of PenitenceStep of Penitence
Step of Penitence

Twenty or so of the nicer, more regular steps. This was not the norm, by the way. It took us about two hours to get down.
Scary!Scary!
Scary!

Believe it or not, there are stairs in this ravine, and we came down them!
Learning ArabicLearning Arabic
Learning Arabic

I know 14 letters, numbers, and some words.


26th June 2007

Kelley your pictures are STUNNING. No really, like postcards, or brochures. Only way better. Hope your feeling a little better. -Jordie

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb