Alexandria: Conquests, discoveries and who turned off the Death Star?


Advertisement
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
February 15th 2016
Published: February 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

In between our time in Lebanon and the excitement of a rendezvous with BV Chef in Cairo, we descended on the coastal city of Alexandria. In all fairness, we didn’t know much about this city, given our somewhat hectic schedule leading up to our departure on this latest journey about the Middle East and Europe. We knew some key points; it is on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea and looked like a ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Anwar SadatAnwar Sadat
Anwar Sadat

Picture from the exhibit at the Alexandria Library
BelilaBelila
Belila

Warm breakfast cereal with milk
FoulFoul
Foul

Strange name .... for breakfast beans
Our riceOur rice
Our rice

no small portions
Ground lamb in filo pastryGround lamb in filo pastry
Ground lamb in filo pastry

full of rich spices
Lamb ChopsLamb Chops
Lamb Chops

Greek recipe
City StreetsCity Streets
City Streets

Alexandria
Sleek stylingSleek styling
Sleek styling

Alexandria Library
Auto soukAuto souk
Auto souk

Anybody got the front end of an '87 VW?
Hop on boardHop on board
Hop on board

Ancient public transportation



15th February 2016

Alexandria
Fantastic pictures! Looks like you are having a wonderful adventure. Enjoy. ?
15th February 2016

Alexandria Adventure
We are just getting started in Egypt but so far so good. Always love experiencing new lands.
15th February 2016
Survived the ages

Stunning
Lovely description of your trip. I want this for a broach for my mum. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. Frankardenas
15th February 2016
Survived the ages

Stunning
Thank you for following along and sending a comment. Hope to read your travels again soon. Good impressions of Egypt so far.
15th February 2016

Great in Alexandria
A wonderful tale of food and culture off the beaten tourist track. D & MJ - Brave as ever! The best is yet to come. Keep on truckin' The grey haired nomads
15th February 2016

Great in Alexandria
David and Janice, good to hear from you again. Thank you for following along and commenting. So far from what we've seen things are pretty quiet here in Egypt. Time will tell. Hope to enjoy those pyramids.
15th February 2016

The Alexandria Quartet
Oh sorry, only three of you? If you haven't read this by Lawrence Durrell, you should to give you a flavour of life here in the last century. Glad you're enjoying your new experiences. The library looks wonderful.
16th February 2016

The Alexandria Quartet
We have not read that book but will check it out. We are having a lovely time in Egypt. The library is an impressive building.
15th February 2016

Alexandria
A connection to my Alex "the great". As always a vivid description of place and experience.
16th February 2016

Alexandria
As always having a great time and certainly feel connected to your Alex. Do you remember that my mother's maiden name was Alexander?
16th February 2016

I'm loving your blogs and the pictures...
especially everything about the food. You are going to have an amazing time with BVChef. I can't wait!
16th February 2016

Loving our photos
Oh you know how much fun we have with food. Love hearing all the recipes. I made the chef tell me how to make these foods while we wrote down all the spices he used. He was proud to treat us to an Egyptian meal. We love traveling. We love meeting new people.
16th February 2016

Should have packed a paint brush
Glad to hear that they still haven't painted the place since we were there. I actually think there may be a law that you cannot repaint buildings. Also had a good laugh about your guide screaming at the gun totting guard, something we experienced a few times on our trip. They don't like you taking photos, unless of course you pay, and everyone gets a cut. The food looks amazing, photos are brilliant and very envious you get to enjoy Stella beer.
16th February 2016

A paint brush
It would not surprise us to find there is a rule against painting the buildings. That makes sense...at least that is what we will tell people. ha. Our guide was a treat and loved her spunk. Everyone has their hand out trying to make a bit of money and it is probably much worse now because tourism has dropped off to nearly nothing and they really need the money. Gotta make a living.
16th February 2016

Alexandria
Don't they say that food brings people together? It certainly did this time :) what a great experience, being treated to an authentic cuisine like that! Great blog guys! Alexandria looks like an interesting place to visit. Enjoy and keep those blogs coming! :)
17th February 2016

Visit Alexandria
The kindness of people never stops. They truly wanted us to enjoy the country and get to know the foods. We're having a great time. Thank you for following along and commenting.
16th February 2016
Alexandria in background

Alexandria
One of the suggested sites of Atlantis, Alexandria must be so full of stories. That the library of antiquity only has one surviving scroll, that is stored elsewhere, so sad. Yet much to look forward to and Brendan about to join you...lookin' good!
17th February 2016
Alexandria in background

Alexandria
Hey Dancing one, thanks for following along and commenting. Endless stories to be told for sure. Protecting the artifacts is so important. .....and soon Brendan.
17th February 2016

Lamb chops
Always a good dish to have in the Middle East ... And you never know how many you get on your plate .... Lots usually. You really are exploring the food ....very adventurous even trying the Arabic breakfast.
17th February 2016

Lamb chops and Egyptian breakfast
They use lots of parsley, coriander, pepper, garlic and cumin.....what is not to like. Must always try the new foods.
18th February 2016
Ground lamb in filo pastry

Tasty!
They sure look tasty!
19th February 2016
Ground lamb in filo pastry

Tasty
Really enjoying a food adventure. So many great spices.
19th February 2016

Egypt is on the bucket list and so is Alexandria
Alexandria has been on my bucket list for a few years since I heard about the sunken city. It was quite recently they discovered that there is an old Roman city a few metres below the surface of the Mediterranean Sea just outside Alexandria. It sunk, probably after an earthquake, and today you can dive at the site and discover the ruins that way. I'd love to see that. /Ake
22nd February 2016

Bucket list
As far as we are concerned this is a great time to visit this part of the world. Few visitors gives you plenty of time to enjoy all of the antiquities. Thanks for following along. I'm sure the diving is great. We did see some divers in Alexandria.
21st February 2016

Alexandria
Thank you again for posting an encouraging story about a region that has been in the media with very sad and dark stories for years already. I wish something like this was on the media more often and I can imagine that times must be hard for the locals at the moment, with less and less tourists coming to their country.
22nd February 2016

Alexandria
So many people we have talked to have some regrets about the revolution even though it was necessary from their point of view because tourist have stayed away over 5 years now. They never expected that to happen. They thought it might impact them for a few months. Sad really. They have had no tourist for 5 years- next to none. I hope people will return.
29th February 2016

Amazing history!
I am jealous. Alexandria is one of the cities I would love to visit, particularly for the library.
29th February 2016

Amazing history
Alexandria should be added to your list of places to go. The library knocked our socks off. It is truly well done.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0914s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb