Off to see Big Ben, the Acropolis and the Pyramids.


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Giza » Mohandessin
January 10th 2012
Published: January 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Face of CairoFace of CairoFace of Cairo

People are really friendly.
Sorry for the delay, but the interent is not a accessible as I would have thought. Well better late than never. I'll try and keep the entries as brief as possible so as not to bore the pants off anyone. As always if you do not want to get update for the blog just remove your name from the list, I won't be offended.

The flight to London went off without a hitch. Since it was a one day layover we didn't even leave to airport to find a hotel, we stayed at the capsule hotel in Gatwick. Twenty meters square and cute as a button. I did decide to go out for a swift pint and ended up on a pub crawl of Westminster.

The next day was Athens and sightseening on the Acropolis. It was a perfect day to walk around the city, brilliant sunshine and 12 degrees. The Parthenon is really a beautiful building, it must have been stunning when it was built. The Acropolis museum, souvlaki on a stick and then off to bed.

Cairo was our next stop. It's more than I ever expected. More people, more traffic and more pollution. Went to
Gatwick hotelGatwick hotelGatwick hotel

Cute as a button.
the footy on Sunday and saw Wadi Degla v Geish at the Army Stadium. There were about 3000 recruits on one side of the pitch and then me and 7 other guys on the other side. Strange. A 2-2 draw was about the right result.

The next day LG and I hired a driver to take us to Alexandria. Boring 3 hr drive each way but the underground catacomes and Pompey's pillar were worth seeing. Alex's traffic made Cairo seem like nothing, 1hr to drive? 10 blocks.

Quiet day the next day, just lounged around the hotel and then in the evening I went to the footy, again. Better match this time El Shorta v Al Ahly. I went with a new friend Mohammed, who works in the rooftop bar at the hotel. Much more atmosphere. Lots of insane fans letting off flares and fireworks. Good result, 1-nil for the away side Al Ahly. The odd part was that there were no El Shorta fans at the match, just Al Ahly supporters. Egyptian football is very different.

We join the tour today so we will start seeing more sites and doing some interesting travelling, like down the
London on a pub crawl.London on a pub crawl.London on a pub crawl.

It was all a bit of a blur.
nile on a felluca but more about that next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

View from our hotel.View from our hotel.
View from our hotel.

Not a bad view to wake up to.
AcropolisAcropolis
Acropolis

What a great day to see this Greek treasure.
ParthanonParthanon
Parthanon

Beautiful in it's symmetry.
Greek statueGreek statue
Greek statue

The carving is exquisite
Egyptian footyEgyptian footy
Egyptian footy

Me and some Waddi Degla fans.
Waddi DeglaWaddi Degla
Waddi Degla

Everyone was pumped up for this game.
Ahly's newest fan.Ahly's newest fan.
Ahly's newest fan.

I've learnt to support the home team.
Back streets of the market.Back streets of the market.
Back streets of the market.

Khan el-Khalili market in Cairo.


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 85; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb