We Have Arrived


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
June 12th 2009
Published: June 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

4 Non Blonds4 Non Blonds4 Non Blonds

Some how Betty's clothes were acceptable. We can even bring sexy back in these capes.
Let the comedy of errors that become our vacations begin. This holiday is the 4Non-Blondes: Chester, Kirsten, Kirsten's mom Judy and Judy's sister Betty. Chester is the only one who has never colored her hair, so the name is quite appropriate. After 18 hours of travel, we all made it to the city of Cairo. Poor Judy had a target on her back or something. No one wanted to really deal with her and various airport employees in different countries would tell her to get in the other line, and then the next airport employee would direct her back to the same line or tell her to go the completely wrong way all together. As soon as we got out of airports, Judy was fine. Kirsten's travels were fine this time except for her drive from the Cairo airport to the hotel. Kirsten's driver from the airport got involved in an "altercation" with another truck driver. The truck driver got out of his vehicle and it got very close to throwing punches. After several heated minutes of Arabic, they both got back in their vehicles and Kirsten made it to hotel.

Our first full day in Cairo involved a tour
The Guide and the GuardThe Guide and the GuardThe Guide and the Guard

No, the one in the middle is not happy to see us. He is packing heat.
of the city, the Mohammad Ali Mosque (not the boxer) on top of The Citadel, Egyptian Museum, a Bazaar and lunch on a boat on the Nile. Cairo is a huge city and does have all the same problems that most big cities do: traffic, millions of people, high rises, smog. Traffic is an understatement here. Plus the fact that it doesn't matter what lane one drives in. I didn't know that three cars could drive next to each other in two lanes. Interesting. The smog here rivals LA. We are suppose to be able to see the Pyramids from the Citadel, but no-can-do on day two.

The Mosque was huge, old and very beautiful. We did wear clothes that we thouht were appropriate--shirts with shoulders covered and burmuda shorts, but 3 of the 4 of us still had to wear a large, polyester green burkas. We learned a lot from our guide and saw a beautiful smogged filled panoramic view of the city.

The sweating commensed when we took a tour of the Egpytian Museum. We saw tons of statues and burial tombs, a little kid throwing up and a couple of women in one piece tube
Mosque of Muhammad AliMosque of Muhammad AliMosque of Muhammad Ali

No boxing matches going on in here.
tops that are fashionable and functionable. They just had to pull them down to breast feed their kids.. The highlight was walking through an exhibit that had all the jewery, coffins and a head dress that Tutukamen was buried in. It was pretty cool and elaborate. This guy loved his rings, braclets and necklaces.

As with most tours, we were brought to a perfume company where we learned about how they extract the scents from the flowers to make perfume. Judy and Chester fell prey to the to the slimey sales man with the good sales pitch and bought small bottles of Lotus and Nefertity (spelling is not our forte) perfume. He was so slimmy he has snot running out of his nose. Chester was assured that men would like her now if she smelled like the Lotus flower. There's a sucker born every minute.

The Bazaar was really crazy. A small street packed with shops all selling the same stuff and all asking us to buy stuff. Kirsten is definitely the best at bartering for goods. She will not budge on her price and will walk out on any deal, and each time they came chasing after
View from the CitadelView from the CitadelView from the Citadel

View of Cairo from the Citadel. If it weren't so smoggy you could see the pyramids.
her to make the deal. Thankfully we are done shopping in Egypt.

The food so far is good. We have only had a few meals and our lunch on the boat was quite nice. Great hummus and veggies and Betty got something a little extra after her meal. After lunch Betty asked to go upstairs to the top deck to get a picture. Well the man who brought her up there wanted to get in the picture and as he suggested they take a picture together, he wrapped his arm around her body and he copped a feel. So that is nice. Our body guard who accompanied us on all our excursions this day did nothing, but he was packing heat so we still felt very safe.

We finished our first hot, hot day with a few hours at the pool of our hotel. There is nothing really to do by our hotel so we just ate at the hotel restuarant. Tomorrow we tour the Pyramids in the morning and then at night we will head back for a sound and light show.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The BazaarThe Bazaar
The Bazaar

A quick view down the Bazaar. One hour was enough for us.
Betty and her new BeauBetty and her new Beau
Betty and her new Beau

Notice the hand placement. It kept moving up.


12th June 2009

Of course!
One day in, and the aunt gets hit on!
18th June 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHESTER!!!
Hi Girls, I am LOVING the stories. Gramma, hope you are also getting groped by lots of men with your new perfume and having a spectacular birthday! See you soon, Flo

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb