Welcome to Egypt!


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo » Mohandessen
November 9th 2012
Published: November 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Only in CairoOnly in CairoOnly in Cairo

This is illegal, but no one cares
Last nights sleep was a bit broken up, I managed to get to sleep at 9.30pm, woke up gasping for air about 12.30am, turned the aircon on after beating my top score in Subway surfer (yeah that's right Rory, Im insane lol) and fell asleep about 3am. I'm finding it difficult on drift off to sleep with all the honking. I tell you what, I now know why they made the rule in nz that your not allowed to honk between 7pm and 7am lol.

Anyway, I wake at 8.30am, as I'm lying there deciding whether to get up now or wait closer till 11am (meant to be meeting tour guide) I hear someone unlocking my door, for those of you that know me, I fright very easily when this sort of thing happens, so what do I do? Sit up and say "hello!!" the lock stops clunking... No reply... 10 minutes later I decide to rise and have s shower, I turn the water on hot, but it comes out mild, which doesn't matter because its hot anyway.. When in the shower yano, half falling asleep I look up to see there is no roof? It's basically slacks... Jesus... I wonder to myself ... I wonder if the bell boy spy's on those that don't tip them very much from the roof above.. Oh we'll, he's getting an awesome show... Haha jokes.

I hop out get changed hear the lock clunk again "hello?" noise stops and head down to breakfast. I have two mini croissants, tea and coffee while I write my first nights travel diary. After I'm finished I head upstairs, to do my hair, the maid is there as if to say she's been waiting for me, she cleans my room and I think she expects a tip , but I say I have no money - obviously a lie. I make myself look presentable and head Down to meet the tour operator and girl from Aussie.

The tour operator arrives late by now Ereni and I have introduced ourselves and chat about our lovely arrival. Her arrival not so great as air Italia has lost he luggage. Apparently this is common for air Italia, so heads up to those that are flying with them in the future. Mohamed is a lovely Egyptian man who straight off the bat is approachable, friendly and knowledgeable. He asks us what we would like to do today. Ereni is as well very knowledgeable and lists a couple of places Including Tahrir Square (where the protests are held).

After some religion and uprise chit chat we are off, Mohamed drives us around the busy Cairo streets pointing to places of interest like palaces, government buildings and mosques. He takes us past a couple of places that intrigue my curiosity Including the city of the dead, a cemetery that is huge ! It's 8km long, and people live in it! Just past this cemetery is a lime stone quarry and more interestingly enough is the Citadel. The Citadel was built by Mohamed Ali, no not the boxer, the boxer was named after this person. It's beautiful and is built at the highest point of Cairo. Within its detailed fortress is a Mosque he built right before he died. Mohamed explains he will take us through it shortly once pray is over, because its more amazing to go through these places when it's empty.

A little down the road from the Citadel he takes us to two famous Mosques and again explains we will go through these too. We park the car and catch a taxi for 15egp back to the Citadel. The taxi driver is a character, after he removes the spare tyre from the back seat and we all get in. On our way he explains he knows 5 different languages and tells Mohamed he used to be very rich . On arrival Mohamud explains about the costs and what we will see. We are stopped a few times by the locals wanting to get photos with us, one little girl and her father gives Ereni a beautiful red flower.

Being a westerner over here is a huge novelty, they love us. As we head up to the Mosque area Mohamud explains the history behind everything an basically from what I can make sense of is that Mohumud Ali was loved by the people of Egypt especially because he Brought Tabacco and Sheesha. He was semi elected as the leader of their people sort of deal. Just before he died he built this Mosque.

Anyway, we head to the Mosque looking at the outside, we noticed that the outside of the Mosque is very dirty. We take our shoes off and head into the first area of the Mosque which is outdoors like, there is a massive clock on one side which was given to the Egyptians by the French years and years ago. After standing I awe, we head inside, it's a huge open area which has magnificent detailing all over the walls and roof, it's mezmeizing. Mohumud explains some markings on the roof and areas of interest. We snap some photos and head out to the awesome bit... Oh wait... Not quite yet, I've been overrun by pretty Egyptian girls who want photo after photo after photo with me, as well as young adolescent boys oh, and one Egyptain gentleman. I'm going to be a Facebook and twitter hit for the Egyptians Lol.

Anyway back to the awesome finale, being the highest point of Cairo here we get a amazing overview of the city, it's truly mind boggling, especially because you can see pyramids in the far! We snap a few photos and head off again, getting stopped again by Egyptian girls. Off we go to Sultan Hassan & Al Rifa'i Monument area. These are beautiful, we head inside the first one have a look around, yep its a Mosque.

After looking around we head into the second Mosque here we are given green throws to put over us, probably because we are too western for this sacred place.Mohamud explains this Mosque is different as here you start at darkness (dark hallway) and head Into light. Once in the main area Mohumud explains this Mosque has the highest arch way in the world and had 4 Islamic schools here. We head to the praying area where the call for the time to pray comes over the audio, mohumud translates for us and explains there are 5 calls a day, people are to cleanse themselves - clean their face/an or body and then pray. People come to the mosque to do this or they can so it from home or work or whatever. The minister says something to mohumud and mohumud let's us know that we must move, as men prey in the front and woman prey in the back - to be less distraction to the males. Makes sense actually, I mean damn... Western lady, with beautiful dark brown eyes, I Totally get that... Plus im totally rocking this green throw Hahah.

We head out of this mosque to the
The MenuThe MenuThe Menu

Viagra anyone? Its actually like Calamari and Shrimp put together or something...
next where we snap a couple of photos and see a Tomb."Right I'm starving" back Into the bussling traffic again, we head to a little restaurant which is obviously one of mohumuds favorite, it's busy and looks pretty clean! We chow down on hot Pitta like breads, hommus/cucumber, korma, lamb, chicken, falafel. Once we're all finished we head back to the hotel. Mohmud honestly is envied by the egyptain men, one lovely man said "you take care if them"

We bid out fairwells to Mohamud just after he kindly tries to help two contiki passengers from Sydney book in to see Alexandra, might I add, one of the boys had sensational eyes. Haha. Ereni and I head up to my room and chill for a bit. She's astonished by my awesome view, ya really gather the atmosphere of Cairo where I am. We agree to go have a bevvy down at the bar then head out and check out Cairo night time. As we're having a bevvy (vodka sprite, gin and sprite) the two boys from Sydney pop in. We all have a chinwag and they explain they haven't slept for
SheeshaSheeshaSheesha

Hot Coal's are put on the top, not sure where they put the flavoured Tobacco?
about 24 hours so are very tired and head to bed -nanas.

Eerie and I head into town, it's very safe, the Egyptians are friendly and Mohamud has given us good advice on how to deal with those pesky market sellers. "Lah shakran" - no thank you. Everyone is so happy we are here, many egyptain men say and yell with enthusiasm "welcome to egypt!" such a lovely feeling. Its not like us kiwis do that for the asains lol. We walk around and look for a scarf (all my tops are sleeveless - not ideal). After finding a scarf we decide to take the plunge and not wait till the other passengers arrive tomorrow, but head into a little cafe, have a cup of tea and try the sheesha. Sheesha is Tabacco smoked through a kind of bong thing. We try the plain first, suprizingly enough, even though I'm not a smoker, it goes down well and smooth! After this we try the apple flavor, this is delicious! We drink out tea, pay 20egp and head off back to the hotel.

What a full on day! Tomorrow I want to explore the city of the dead and
Shee Smokes SheeshaShee Smokes SheeshaShee Smokes Sheesha

In the Cairo Cafe
the museum.Loving Egypt! However just writing this I heard a bang followed by a man yelp, and scretching breaks. Have a look, car vs scooter. Car wins, Scooter dies, man on scooter sweet.

FML! Good night !


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Sheesha CleanerSheesha Cleaner
Sheesha Cleaner

Was staring at us constantly, which cleaning all the coal out of the filters


24th November 2012

soo much fun
Looks like and sounds like ur havin so much fun girl sooi jely
24th November 2012

Thanks Jess N
Yeah, its a great time... i have heaps more i need to upload. Will shortly :)

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb