City Walk


Advertisement
Djibouti's flag
Africa » Djibouti
April 22nd 2006
Published: April 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Monica at Planet Hollywood entranceMonica at Planet Hollywood entranceMonica at Planet Hollywood entrance

This Local psuedo Planet Hollywood serves good food.
Bon Jour,
We are still here in Djibouti, and decided to have another tour around town (short tour). We are including pictures of some of the tour highlights. A bit of shopping was done at what passes as the local shopping mall (pictures included). Shopping is always an experience here, since we soon find that we are a very popular couple. It must be our outstanding personalities and appearance. The local vendors always swamp us, when we stroll around the shopping area. They all believe that they know exactly what we want, and that we should purchase it from them, at their favorable quoted price. An example of this concerns a decorative dish that we purchased. The price was originally quoted at 8,000 Djibouti Francs ($45.20). After about 5 minutes of haggling, we purchased it for 900 Djibouti Francs ($5.09). Too bad we can't bargain like that at our Florida shopping malls.
We also "discovered" two new restaurants, where we have enjoyed delicious meals. One, a pseudo Planet Hollywood restaurant, is located directly on one of the two main city squares, and can easily be spotted. The other restaurant, the Beverly Grill, is a little more challenging to find.
One of two main city squaresOne of two main city squaresOne of two main city squares

A picture of two of the local hotels. The Menelik Hotel, and the Europa Hotel.
Fortunately, we were given directions to the Beverly by a couple of friends, and finally tracked it down. We have included pictures of the local Planet Hollywood restaurant entrance, but were unable to take any pictures of the Beverly Grill. The Beverly Grill entrance is located on the fifth floor of a five story building, and can only be reached by walking down an open air walkway, and then taking an elevator to the fifth floor. The Beverly Grill has an excellent view of the city since it is located in one of the highest buildings in Djibouti. Both restaurants served excellent food, and we ordered the grilled fish at both. The fish and shrimp are exceptionally good here, due to the fact that this is a major seaport on the Red Sea. The fish is fresh and pleantiful. We haven't tried the lobster yet, but that will be one of our future menu items. By the way, in an earlier blog, we mentioned that we were serching for a particular Chinese restaurant. We finally found it, but as yet, haven't eaten there.
The weather, as predicted, is rapidly heating up. Summer has arrived, and today's 100 degrees is
Bellevue Hotel LobbyBellevue Hotel LobbyBellevue Hotel Lobby

A picture of two of our hotel clerks. Very nice people.
expected to rise to 125 degrees, in the next few weeks. Fortunately, by that time, we will be back in "cool" Florida.
This may be the last entry into our travel blog since we are "short-timers", but then again, something exciting may happen before our departure, that will earn a spot in this timeless epic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Monica at Goat MarketMonica at Goat Market
Monica at Goat Market

Monica checking out the local goat market where tasty goats are sold. You can have them butchered right around the corner.
Shopping StreetShopping Street
Shopping Street

The main shopping street, with two policemen strolling along.
Local VendorLocal Vendor
Local Vendor

Monica doing a bit of bargaining with a local businessman.
Local Jewlery VendorLocal Jewlery Vendor
Local Jewlery Vendor

Monica checking out the local treasures.
Local  VendorLocal  Vendor
Local Vendor

Monica checking out the local treasures at another shop.
Local  Clothing StoreLocal  Clothing Store
Local Clothing Store

Monica checking out the latest local styles at the "dress" shoppe.
Local Fruit MarketLocal Fruit Market
Local Fruit Market

While seasonal, there is a good variety of fruit available.


24th April 2006

Love from Mary-Alice and Tom
The pictures lookgreat with Monica in her element-- SHOPPING. We Can't wait to meet again in sunny and Hot Homosassa. Hurry home.
24th April 2006

wish we were there. Nah!! See you soon.
18th May 2006

Are you home yet?
I guess you are home by now and back into the golf fulltime again. We have loved the blog and thought you should keep it up for all your Aussie friends to keep up with you day to day. How about it? We are in Denham WA and loving the life. Jo and John

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb