Sitting at the Pan


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
July 8th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Cubs01 Cubs01 Cubs

Two cheetah cubs in the middle of the pan near our campsite.
Geo: -23.4834, 24.1864

This morning we had a little sleep in. When we woke up we made breakfast. As we prepared and ate breakfast we frequently looked over at the pan. From our campsite there is a great view of the pan. We then saw two animals and confirmed our sighting with the binoculars- it was a pair of cheetahs! We quickly jumped into the car and drove down to the pan for a better view.

They were running around in the middle of the large pan and then they walked away. We drove on the track that goes around the pan in the hope of seeing them again- no such luck. There was not much else seen – just a couple of ostriches.

We decided to spend some time at Molose Pan, as the sightings have been quite good there. The drive took us about an hour and not much was seen along the way, except for many animal tracks on the sandy track. At the pan there was plenty of bird life to observe.

Paul parked the car next to a tree so I would be in the shade. He spent some time laying down at the edge of the
02 Running02 Running02 Running

One of the cubs running through the pan.
waterhole with his camera taking photos of birds as they came down to drink. I sat in the car reading, doing Sudoku and taking photos of birds.

The birds I could identify were; Crimson Breasted Shrike – which jumped around the car and in the tree next to me, Black Faced Waxbill, Violet Eared Waxbill, Kalahari Scrub Robin, Grey Headed Sparrow and Chestnut Vented Babbler. Then the excitement began – a Lappet Faced Vulture flew down. It landed at the edge of the pan, hopped about and then flew to the top of a bush. The vulture sat there for a little while as he looked around. It flew down to the water, had a drink, flew to the other side of the pan and drank again. It was at the waterhole for about 20 minutes and then it flew away.

Later on in the afternoon we drove back to our campsite at Moreswa Pan. We drove around the pan, but didn't see much. Called it a day and went back to the campsite.

Tonight, once again we sat around the fire and enjoyed another amazing, delicious dinner under the stars.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

03 Standing03 Standing
03 Standing

One of the cubs standing in the middle of the pan.
04 Running04 Running
04 Running

Two ostriches running across the pan.
05 Sandy05 Sandy
05 Sandy

The sandy track that was full of various animals tracks.
06 Birds06 Birds
06 Birds

A Crimson Breasted Shrike and Southern Masked Weaver near the Molose Pan.
07 Looking07 Looking
07 Looking

The shrike looking at me with a bug in its mouth.
08 Side Profile08 Side Profile
08 Side Profile

A side profile of the shrike- such a vibrant red.
09 Waxbill09 Waxbill
09 Waxbill

A Black Faced Waxbill.
10 Joined by Friends10 Joined by Friends
10 Joined by Friends

More waxbills join the first one.
11 Sitting in a Tree11 Sitting in a Tree
11 Sitting in a Tree

The shrike sitting in a tree next to my car window.
12 Next to the Car12 Next to the Car
12 Next to the Car

A Chestnut Vented Tit Babbler in the tree next to my car window.
13 Swooping Down13 Swooping Down
13 Swooping Down

A Lappet Faced Vulture swooping down to the pan.
14 By the Water14 By the Water
14 By the Water

The vulture standing by the side of the pan.
15 Flying Off15 Flying Off
15 Flying Off

The vulture flying off.
16 Wings Spread16 Wings Spread
16 Wings Spread

The vulture still flying around.
17 Off and Away17 Off and Away
17 Off and Away

Off goes the vulture.
18 Landed18 Landed
18 Landed

The vulture landed in a tree nearby.
19 Settled19 Settled
19 Settled

For now the vulture has settled at top of this tree.
20 Waxbill20 Waxbill
20 Waxbill

A little colourful Violet Eared Waxbill.
21 Sparrow21 Sparrow
21 Sparrow

A small sparrow.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb