Note From the Parentals


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
December 20th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

RossRossRoss

At the Royal Livingstone Hotel
About a month ago, because Nyssa and Ross were having internet problems, they gave me the password to access their blog. Big mistake! But we did tell them ahead of time that we were planning on adding a note from the parentals after we got back from our visit with them. At first they had a long list of conditions they wanted to impose before they would “allow” us to post to their blog. But they’re in Africa and we’re back in the States - and I do have that password.

We spent about 10 days with Nyssa and Ross. We met them in Livingstone and spent a couple of nights at Victoria Falls. We then went to a lodge just outside of Chobe National Park in Botswana and then to a “camp” on the Okavango Delta, also in Botswana on December 14th. Our last night together was in Lusaka, Zambia. The Botswana part of the trip was spent doing 4 wheel drive safaris in the morning and the late afternoon. The places we stayed - and our means of travel - were not like anything they’ve been used to in Africa but we like to think it was a
NyssaNyssaNyssa

At the Royal Livingstone Hotel
nice break for them from the backpacker existence they’ve been having. And to demonstrate the point, while it took us less than 12 hours to travel from London to RI last Monday, a distance of some 3000 miles or so, on the same day, it apparently took Ross and Nyssa more than 18 hours to travel maybe 300 miles or so on the first leg of their journey to Malawi (something about the bus not leaving for awhile, and then breaking down and being stuck on the side of the road for many hours).

In a word, our trip was amazing! It’s an incredible part of the world that we had known almost nothing about. We saw lots of animals, witnessed lions on the hunt, wild dogs eating their prey, mama elephants protecting their young, impalas acting tough, and monkeys swiping our food. But as amazing as that part of the trip was, it was even more delightful because of the chance to spend time with Nyssa and Ross. They are doing well - in fact, they’re doing wonderfully well. They’re doing a lot, learning a lot and having fun along the way. It was great to be able to hear their stories in person, to ask questions, and to see them as the responsible adults they’ve become (it’s a parental thing to notice that your babies are now fully competent adults). Their happiness and joy at life - and with each other - is a delight to be around and we are very appreciative of having had this opportunity to share this small part of their adventure with them.

One of Ross’ “conditions” for posting on their blog was that we keep it short but if pictures really are worth a thousand words I’m afraid we’re over our limit. Oh well….

With all our love and best wishes to Nyssa and Ross for a happy Christmas in Zanzibar and continuing great (and safe) adventures in the new year!


Myrth & David


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



21st December 2007

Parentals
Hey - so glad you put all of the pictures up, Myrth and David. I know it's very time consuming for Ross and Nys to do it. Your trip looks amazing..and I'm sure this doesn't even do it justice! Glad you got to check in on them and have a great adventure! xx Emily
21st December 2007

Thanks!
Thanks a lot for posting these pics and telling us how well Nys and Ross are doing... we worry over here!!! Glad you had such a nice experience with them! Ashly (Norhwestern Ashly).....
23rd December 2007

Those pictures are amazing! Glad everyone is doing well :-)
13th January 2008

Thanks so much for sharing your experience over there - the pictures are fantastic. Everyone looks so happy and healthy which is a delight to see. Nys and Ross - while I know you're having the time of your lives, I'm selfish and can't wait for you to get HOME! Stay safe until then - and treasure your amazing adventure. Miss you!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb