Okavango Delta - Mokoros, jumping spiders, Lizard tails and one of the most amazing places on earth!!!


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Okavango Delta
March 12th 2009
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wow so much to update on ...
We first went to Ngepi camp which reminded us of Shambala it had some crazy toilets and showers and statues and wind chimes everywhere. We stayed in a tree house on the river where there was only two ideas to the house and a mosi net to protect us from the croc's and Hippo's - not sure how effective that would be !? we had an outdoor shower on the balony which was so liberating looking out over the river.

It turned out to be a crazy night with lots of Springbok shooters (dance to be demonstrated) and then we made the Meerkat international - we showed the rest of the group the dance and then we made a shot to accompany it and i is now on the menu !!!! tequila,vodka and Lime - The Meerkat!

From there we went into the Delta which is the bushiest bush camping i think that you can get! We went out on a Mokora which is like a dug out canoe really low to the water - maybe about 3 inches above and you have a poler to guide you through stood on the back - ours was called George and was smoking a massive Joint before we set off and so we knew we were in for an experience! He insisted on flying past all the other polers and taking the massive reed's at 90 degree angles and ploughing through them - the result being we were covered in massive bright orange jumping spiders, frogs and bugs - as you can imagine my heaven!
We found an island completely in the wilderness and set up a bush camp there where we had a quick brief about what to do if we see he animals on foot and set off on a guided (unarmed) walk. About 30 meters from the camp we encountered a family of elephants - it was amazing to see them on foot and so close - eek!

We heard croc's and Hippo's but didn't see any that night - we collected fire wood to build a huge fire in ordr to keep the lion's etc away and toasted some marshmallows after tea. That night we looked at the shooting stars in a completely unpolluted sky with no light it was phenomenal - made even better by the fire flies that came around and then settled in the reeds looking like little fairies. From there the following day we poled to another island which did had toilets - such a luxury and ready assembled tents.
We picked our tent which even had a proper bed !!!!!!! Unfortunately it was also occupied by 3 lizards - 2 were quite cute little skinks that Rob and Ben wrestled out (1 of them had a right go at biting Ben which made them less appealing) and then a 3rd lizard which was considerably lager. After some Benny Hill type chasing around the tent and lifting up the bed Ben emerged victorious - only to discover that he had the tail which was still wriggling but no lizard attached it was still running around the room!

We played cards and the Hippo's we could hear grazing around us - such a beautiful place until i went to the toilet and as i turned around to flush it a spider the size of a tarantula was behind my head on top of the toilet. I didn;t scream but it did involve all the girls coming to look and us officially declaring that toilet a no go area - the spider so big it could carry a dog was not appealing to us all.

So next - off to Chobe - we are so excited about the game driving now

N and R xxx

Advertisement



10th July 2009

Thanks for sharing this post. This place is biggest oasis that is situated in the middle of the Kalhan sands.You may find various animals like buffalo, elephant, zebra, leopard, lion, cheetah, hyena, lion. During the rainy season you can see huge herds of Zebra flocking to the Makgadikgadi Pans.Chobe National Park is a must visit as it is famous for vast flocks of elephants, mysterious puku and the Chobe bush buck.Okavango is known for its plentiful plant life. For more details refer http://www.journeyidea.com/sundry-scenic-okavango-delta/

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb