Day 206 - African Wilderness


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Maun
January 24th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today's journey began early and was one of the quietest yet on the truck. The destination was Chobe National Park. Time and again we would have to slow down for elephants either in or next to the road, and this wasn't even in a national park or protected area, just the genuine 'wild'. It's great to see so many and makes you wonder why people still think they're almost extinct. One time the driver stopped and we wondered why, only to spot a dead donkey in the road. Thankfully this was just a coincidence, although the real reason we'd stopped wasn't much better. About 30m back from the road was a Baobab tree, famed for their incredibly thick trunks and branches that look so much like roots that they appear almost upside down (well, almost!). This particular tree had a bit growing out of its trunk which reminds the locals of a penis. They are obviously desperate for attractions that visitors might want to see here.

We got to our campsite and it was raining heavily so we set-up quickly and opted against an early morning game drive which earnt us a lie-in for the following morning. This in turn meant we could spend hours in the bar playing darts. But like most best-laid plans in Africa, it didn't quite come off. The bar kept experiencing power cuts, darts by candlelight seemed dangerous, and everyone was in bed asleep just after 8pm.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.569s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 102; dbt: 0.4332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb