Botswana to Zambia


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Chobe National Park
August 9th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Victoria FallsVictoria FallsVictoria Falls

The only way to shower
After laving Maun and the Okavango Delta at around midday we headed for a town called Gweta which is situated on the edge of the Makgadikgadi Pans, this is a large area about the size of Switzerland and apparently can be seen from space, it is devoid of anything but salt. There was an optional extra tour to the pans at an additional cost, but I declined as I have been to salt flats before and thought it was expensive. For all the fans of Top Gear, it is where the Top Gear team raced 3 old cars across the pans.
We camped at a very cool site among Baobab trees, these are enormous and are believed to live for two thousand years, they are also called up-side-down trees, and when you see them, you can see why.
In Botswanna most of the fences across the country have been removed to allow the wildlfe to roam naturally, so its not unusual to see elephants etc on the side of the road.
The next day we traveled to Chobe National Park and that evening went on a sunset cruise on the Chobe river, this was an optional extra, but only US$30 and
LivingstoneLivingstoneLivingstone

Flight of Angels
worth every cent, we saw so much wildlife and yet another spectacular African sunset.
The next morning we were up very, very early to get to the Zambian border and the front of the que, the border is the river and everything must cross on a ferry, I use the word ferry very loosely, it is more like a barge and can only take one truck and one car at a time, fortunately it is only a very short crossing but is notorious and some transport trucks can be stuck there for days, they give priority to tourists. When we got on the barge, we all stood watching as Botswana slipped away with a group of hippo wallowing on the shore, only in Africa!
After the crossing, it was only a short drive to Livingstone to spend our last 2 days before the group split up. The campsite is called Riverside Lodge and it is where the majority of overland trucks stay so is very busy. Here 12 of us will leave the tour and 12 new people will join for the remaining journey to Nairobi. We spent the 2 days sightseeing and doing a variety of optional extras available,
Chobe River CruiseChobe River CruiseChobe River Cruise

Another sunset in Africa
I only had one thing on my list I wanted to do and that was the "Flight of Angles" which is a flight over the falls, there are 3 options; a small plane, a helicopter, or a microlight, I chose the microlight. The Zambezi river was very full so the falls were raging, the flight was one of the best things I have ever done, it was scary and exhilarating, four of us chose to do it although you go up one at a time, and we all came off pumped and totally pumped, it is the only was to see this "Wonder of the World".
After a rather riotous evening, we all said our goodbyes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

BotswanaBotswana
Botswana

Baobab tree


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb