The Mighty Zambezi and Chobe


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Chobe National Park
October 8th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sailing down the Chobe RiverSailing down the Chobe RiverSailing down the Chobe River

Still got the Celtic hat!
8 Oct - quite a few hangovers today after the shenanigans of the night before so I'm feel v smug for being sensible and having an early night...it does happen occasionally!

Drive to Thebe campsite at Kasane, set up camp then take an afternoon game trip by boat. This has been the best way to view animals to date. We've used loads of different and interesting methods so far including using Priscilla, jeeps, by foot and flying over the Delta. But this way we get up close and personal without disturbing them. We spot many BIRDS, crocs, water buffalo, egrets, hippo and elephants. Then a herd of elephants starts to cross the river right in front of our boat just as the sun is setting. What a magical experience. Makes me think about India, can't wait to compare the African heffalumps with the Indian ones.

Sunset over Chobe is breathtaking, especially when you realise that this is a special place where the Chobe and Zambezi rivers meet with the borders of Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Back at the campsite, while we're waiting for dinner, a herd of 7 or 8 elephants nonchalantly stroll passed the rather wrickety fence beside our pitch...totally surreal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Family of elephantsFamily of elephants
Family of elephants

Showering at dusk


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb