Tuesday and Wednesday summary


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-East » Francistown
October 29th 2010
Published: October 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Francistown Cricket Club
Fortunately suffering no after effects from the meal cooked in the dark by Veronique and Mike S, the team awoke to another scorching day and yet another different combi to take us to the Francistown Cricket Club. Even Mike R and Allan had recovered sufficiently and were raring to go. The ground has an astro turf wicket surrounded by a green outfield and the boundary is marked by painted tyres sunk into the dust. We waved to the pre-school children who were being taught in the pavilion, but their stern teacher soon put a stop to their excited replies.
Expecting the same 23 teachers for a second day’s tutoring, we were a bit surprised to find that 31 turned up - perhaps the cricket message is spreading across Francistown. Clement, who is in charge of cricket development in Francistown, and who must be the most organised man in Botswana, cajoled and encouraged them to start on time and to get the best out of their three mornings with us. Just like on Monday, we were astonished at the quality of their coaching. It must be hard for them to learn new skills and to combine them with HIV / AIDS awareness, but they all bought into our way of coaching which involves more questioning and demonstration than telling. On Wednesday, all 31 teachers were assessed and passed the CWB course which is equivalent to the ICC Level 0 (not a very encouraging name for the first certificate.) Every candidate was given a ‘Bowling AIDS out of Botswana’ Coach T shirt with their certificate. Later at lunch time, we saw a good many of them proudly parading around the shopping centre in their new yellow attire.
On Tuesday evening, it was the Reeves’ turn to cook. Veronika wanted to create a traditional Czech goulash with the succulent local beef, but an absence of paprika soon put a stop to that idea. Instead they went for their tried and tested option of chilli con carne. Trying to out do the previous feast, Mike cooked apple crumble, but bramley apples are a bit scarce in Africa, so tasteless Granny Smith apples had to suffice. The meal was a success - nine out of ten.
For the past week and a half, the team had been preparing for baked beans on toast followed by Angel Delight promised by the culinary experts Meerkat and Shanks. Imagine our surprise when they produced a starter of garlic bread followed by marinated chicken with stir fried vegetables and noodles. The Angel Delight did make an appearance, but only after Allan’s home made bread and butter pudding. Nine out of ten and pressure on for Will and Chris.
Mike Reeves


Advertisement



31st October 2010

Pick ne up off the floor
So the opening lines of this blog have knocked me off my feet..I must have read it wrong..a meal prepared by Mike S..a cooked meal? not out of a tin? surely not..boy is he going to be popular when he gets home..sounds like I'm in for some treats (culinary of course)! Well done for such brilliant coaching..how rewarding.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb