Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
March 9th 2021
Published: March 9th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 8th March - Machu Picchu

When the explorer Hiram Bingham III encountered Machu Picchu in 1911, he was looking for a different city, known as Vilcabamba. This was a hidden capital to which the Inca had escaped after the Spanish conquistadors arrived in 1532. Over time it became famous as the legendary Lost City of the Inca. Bingham spent most of his life arguing that Machu Picchu and Vilcabamba were one and the same, a theory that wasn’t proved wrong until after his death in 1956. (The real Vilcabamba is now believed to have been built in the jungle about 50 miles west of Machu Picchu.) Recent research has cast doubt on whether Machu Picchu had ever been forgotten at all. When Bingham arrived, three families of farmers were living at the site.

Machu Picchu was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983 and was named one of the New Seven Wonders of the World in 2007.

In the Quechua Indian language, “Machu Picchu” means “Old Peak” or “Old Mountain.”

Although many of the stones that were used to build the city were more than 50 pounds, it is believed that no wheels were used
to transport these rocks up the mountain. Rather, it is thought that hundreds of men pushed the heavy rocks up the steep mountain side.

The Incas were some of the best masons in the world. The structures were so well built with a technique called ashlar (stones that are cut to fit together without mortar) that not even a knife blade can fit in between stones.



The high level of preservation and the general layout of the ruins are remarkable. Its southern, eastern, and western portions are surrounded by dozens of stepped agricultural terraces formerly watered by an aqueduct system. Some of those terraces were still being used by local Indians when Bingham arrived in 1911.



Our virtual guide today took us right down into the main part of the ruins, telling us about the history and Inca traditions as he climbed up and down all those steps & all in less than an hour.

A great guide who shares his passion for the Inca people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement









Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb