Calafate and lunch at a Sheep Ranch


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » O Higgins » Santa Cruz
January 20th 2024
Published: January 22nd 2024
Edit Blog Post

We say goodbye to Chile today and head back to Argentina. Breakfast in in our hotel then we load our bags onto the bus to head to Calafate. We change busses, bus drivers and local guide at the Argentine boarder. Out in the middle of nowhere we stop at a sheep ranch called Chali Aike. The owner of the ranch gives us a tour of the ranch. Our lunch bbq lamb is cooking over a wood fire. He tells us how this ranch has been in his family since his great grandfather bought the property. His great grandmother stayed on the ranch while his great grandfather traveled to buy sheep. It took his grandfather two years to travel to buy the sheep and herd them to the ranch. Sheep wool has been the main money earner for the ranch. Wool is not as popular now and they supplement income by selling lamb meat and hosting tourist. He demonstrates shearing a sheep which he does very quickly. During the season they will have six sheep shearers working at once. They grade the quality of the wool and bundle same grade wool for sale. The ranch has six sheep dogs that appear to love their owner. We were given a demonstration of the dog given a whistle (different whistles give different command) and he ran off into the hills and brought back a group of sheep. The dog also rides on the owners motorcycle when traveling around the property.

We enjoyed bbq lamb, empanadas, salad, wine and desert for lunch in the farmhouse. One person on our tour has come down with Covid and they sit in a different room for lunch. Mark and I wear a mask while on the bus, we do not want to get Covid. We brought Covid test kits with us and I used one when I was not feeling well. Negative no Covid for me.

After our lunch we get back on the bus and continue on to Calafate. We arrive at our hotel and we have the rest of the evening free. We walk downtown and it is full of tourists. This is a very cute town with a Truckee type vibe. Loads of shops, restaurants and a grocery store. There is also a visitor center that is still open even at seven at night. We learn about the glaciers nearby.

We enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony and enjoy what feels like nice weather no wind, yea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb