May 9 & 10 – Two Days at Sea


Advertisement
Published: May 10th 2024
Edit Blog Post

P1060134P1060134P1060134

Cabin D224
This is a Two Day report instead of just Today.

Thursday:

The day was heavily affected by the rough ride on Wednesday night. The ship had slowed down during the day to make the cruise smoother while everyone was up and walking around. To get back on schedule they went faster at night while everyone should be sleeping. But the extra speed meant more rolling over the waves. We usually leave the bathroom light on with the door slightly ajar, but the motion of the ship caused the door to swing back and forth - alternately bright and dim. We could fix that problem, but it still meant a pretty bumpy ride.

The waves caused Janet to have a squeezy stomach in the morning, even with the Seasick Bracelets. We were still sleepy when they smoothed the ride on Thursday morning. Also, they took another hour away that night. David brought down a light breakfast, so Janet was able to stay in the cabin.

In the early afternoon, David got a little lunch at the buffet and brought down some chips and tea for Janet in the cabin. It turned into an uneventful afternoon – just being
P1060135P1060135P1060135

Another view of D224
quiet in the cabin with a little TV, stitching, and reading. David did finish one of the books he brought along.

We did receive the shirts/pants we had sent to the ship’s laundry. That was nice.

By dinner time we had a small dinner up in the World Market buffet before going back to the cabin to watch a movie called “Argyle”. Then we were off to bed again.

Friday:

Once again, we lost an hour on the clock Thursday night – our biological clock is beginning to expect only 23 hours in a day.

This was laundry day according to our packing plan - some things we don’t want to send through the ship’s service. There is a laundromat on each deck, but only 2 washer and 2 dryers each, with some of the dryers are out of service. But David got into the room before the scheduled 8:00 start time and snagged both washers. That got his loads washed before anyone else got the dryer, so we were able to finish the laundry by about 10:30.

We missed breakfast again by just a couple of minutes but had as much early lunch as we wanted. Today one of the servers decided she should carry Janet’s plate around and help pick her food instead of David going through the line twice – that was nice.

We watched the video about the different sites which should be available to visit in Ponta Delgada tomorrow. We had previously booked one of the ship’s excursions, but the tickets said there was “substantial walking” which didn’t fit well with our plans, so we turned in the tickets several days ago. We will play it by ear tomorrow and see how things work out.

Tonight was not called Formal Night, but instead it was called Dress to Impress Night. We weren’t sure what the difference is, but we got dressed up to mingle with everyone else this time. And we had gotten reservations in the Coral Dining Room tonight. The canapés were ordered and after a mix-up, they arrived before we went to dinner this time – they were good.

It turned out that Dress to Impress meant different things to everybody. Some were in suit and tie and other wore jeans and a clean t-shirt. Anyway, at least we looked good. For our dinner, Janet had Watermelon Salad and also Cheese Raviolis. David had Coconut Shrimp and French Onion Soup. For her entrée, Janet had Veal Scallopini and David had Wiener Zwiebel Rostbraten. Janet’s dessert was Crusty Banana Tart w/ Hazelnut Streusel and Chocolate Ice Cream and David had Cherries Jubilee. After dinner, we watched "Ferris Bueller’s Day Off".

Since we have been spending a lot of time in our cabin, maybe you would like to see the place. There should be a couple of pictures attached for your viewing. Tomorrow hopefully we will have a few scenery pictures to post. Good night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.03s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1006.3kb