Friday 17th May 2024


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 17th 2024
Published: May 19th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Friday 17

th
May, WoomeraWoomera Caravan ParkCost $25 per night Rated by us 6/10Mileage 22939 travelled 433kmWe set off slowly into town to pick up some basic supplies and visit one of the opal mines.The Umona Opal Mine, unfortunately the mine tours had been cancelled until 4pm, so we looked around what we could and headed to the opal shop to buy a few gifts for the girls. As we left the museum I spotted a Sturt Desert Pea growing in the car park, it was bellyful the more so as it had chosen such a barren place to grow, I cannot grow them at home and they are amazing, took some good shots. As we left heading south on the good old Stuart Highway again, the mines are everywhere and have created a devastating display of the landscape. The mining claim pegs are laid out for many kilometres out of the town, so I guess eventually the devastation will become worse, something should be done to repair the old mines to how they were before, guess that’s not going top happen. The road is again flat and endless with nothing at all to break the monotony.As we travelled on we suddenly came upon a huge salt lake Hart Lake, there are a number of smaller lakes around here as well, a break in the landscape at last. A short detour of the now well known Stuart Highway to go and stay at Woomera ready for the visit tomorrow before we head on.Very cold at night now and the days are also getting chilly, driving is still good and sunny.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb