To New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 30th 2015
Published: July 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 129 Tuesday 21 July

At sea in the North Atlantic sailing South South West

14c, fog and cloud, some rain



After breakfast we went to the Zumba Gold class which is seated Zumba and concentrates on your core. It was quite taxing. It was followed by the normal Zumba class which we both did. Gail then went for a short walk and as we had done an hour of Zumba I did not go to the gym but went back to the cabin and did some work on the iPad. We had a cup of coffee and managed to find a place to sit and read in one of the lounges which are usually packed out at this's time of day. It will be better when the weather improves and people start to use the outside seats.



During the Zumba classes the Captain came on the PA and said that we are sailing a much more southerly course than originally planned because of the threat of floating ice and icebergs which are further south than usual. This means we have to sail further than planned and will delay our arrival into Halifax significantly. The fog has also slowed us down and soon we will enter a North American zone that requires them to switch from heavy marine fuel which the engines were designed for to a type of marine spirit which gives off less emissions. He said the water temperature was down to 9c which is a further indication of ice in the water.



We went to the fashion show which didn't feature anything we would want to buy then read for a while. We got ready for dinner early and went to the Crooners bar and listened to the classical pianist. As it was a formal night getting ready early meant pretty early. After the pianist we went to the Production Show "Nations" which was very good. From there we went to the Atrium for the Captain's Cocktail Party then dinner.



After dinner we went to another show which was a tribute to Nat King Cole by an American, Donnybrook Ray Evans. He was really good. On our way back to our cabin after the show we stopped at the night club and had a couple of dances and then again in the Crooners Bar. A good night.



I finished "Fox Hunt" by James Phelan



Day 130 Wednesday 22 July

At sea in the Labrador Basin

15c light rain, fog



After breakfast we did both the Zumba Gold and then the regular Zumba then I did some washing while Gail walked. Gail went to choir and I went to a lecture on Pearl Harbour which was interesting but didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, then we had a bit of lunch unfortunately having missed the Mongolian BBQ.



The Captain came on the PA and informed us that we will not be going into Halifax because the southerly sea ice had forced us so far south on a much longer course and the fog had slowed us so much that it was no longer any use going into port there. We will be heading to directly to New York arriving there on Friday night rather than Saturday morning which will allow us to complete the immigration procedures that are estimated to take 41/2 hours that night so that we have 2 clear days in the city.



We played 500 with Geoff and Margaret then got ready for dinner and went to an early show which featured the Elton John tribute performer and the pianist and banjo player who had been on earlier. It was a good show.



After dinner we went to listen to an Irish comedian George Casey who had also been on earlier but we had missed his show. He was actually pretty good.



Day 131 Thursday 23 July

At sea westerly across the Atlantic Ocean, North of the Sargasso Sea

22c cloudy but clearing late afternoon



Breakfast, Zumba Gold, Zumba then Gail walked and I went to the lecture on the Battle of Midway. After Gail went to choir we went to a movie "Run All Night" with Liam Neeson and Ed Harris. Not all that good.



After the movie we went to Happy hour and had a couple of drinks (2 for1) and then played 500 with Margaret and Geoff. We paid a deposit on a 2017 cruise to circumnavigate South America.



We had dinner and then went to a show with Donny Ray Evans who did the Nat King Cole tribute the other night. This time he sang blues and jazz. He was pretty good.





Day 131 Thursday July 23

At sea sailing westerly in the Atlantic Ocean towards New York

22c cloudy



Breakfast, Zumba Gold, Zumba then I went to a lecture while Gail walked the decks doing about three miles. We watched the port lecture on New York on the TV in our cabin as we had not been able to attend it live.



Gail went to choir while I read then we went to a movie "Run All night" with Liam Neeson and Ed Harris, not very good. We had a couple of drinks at the 2 for 1 happy hour. Then we played 500 again with Margaret & Geoff.



Quiet day.



Day 132 Friday July 24

At sea then up the Hudson River into New York

27c, cloudy



There was no Zumba so we had a leisurely breakfast then I went to a lecture on the convoy that saved Malta during WWII. Gail went to choir and then we had a light lunch.



As we entered the river to come into New York Hutch, who is the Port Lecturer, did a commentary from the bridge on all the things we were seeing which was very interesting and helpful. The Statue of Liberty looks fantastic as you sail in as does the New York skyline. One interesting thing was that you could see right up the streets as you came level with them because they are so straight.



We had some dinner but decided not to try for early immigration clearance which had started at 7.30, because we were told that it will probably take 41/2 hours and that USA Immigration and Border Protection demand an empty ship before they will let anyone back on board after clearance. They put on a special show with just the singers that I went to while Gail did some reading. We went down to the holding lounge at about 9.00pm and then into the terminal where there was more queuing. We were through the process which included finger printing and photographs by 10.15.



As there were still several hundred behind us before we could go back on board we walked up 50th street from 12th Avenue which runs in front of the pier to 7th Avenue which is also Broadway. Then we walked down broadway to Times Square. We met Margaret & Geoff walking back. When we got to Times Square it was all action and light. They have built steps and seats at the northern end of the Square so we sat there for a while and watched the activities. Very interesting.



We walked back down 48th Street and on the way discovered a Hop on Hop off bus office on 8th Avenue that we decided to come back to the next day. We arrived back at the terminal just after midnight to find that the last passengers were being processed and as everyone was off they were allowing us back on. Geoff & Margaret had to wait over an hour in the terminal before they got back on. The USA is not the only country that demands a face to face immigration interview with everyone, but there are not many others that we have come in to. It is the only one that demands a zero population ship. The immigration officials were friendly, efficient and unfailingly polite as are most Americans, at home.



Day 133 Saturday July 25

New York

31c clear skies but humid



We had breakfast and left the ship at about 8.30. The process was very easy this time. At the Open Loop bus Company station we had spotted last night we bought a 2 day ticket and walked up to 7th and 48th to catch the bus. We only went about a mile in this one then transferred to another bus at Bryant Park that was doing the Uptown Loop which took us past the Chrysler Building, the Bloomberg Tower, many of the big hotels, the Guggenheim and the Metropolitan Museums and Central Park. When we got back to 51st and 8th we transferred to another bus that took us to Bryant Park where we transferred to yet another bus to do the Downtown Loop. Not the most efficient way to organise things.



The Downtown Loop took us along 5th Avenue, past the Empire State Building, the Flatiron Building, the West and Greenwich Villages, Soho and Noho and then to the 9/11 Memorial where we got off and walked around. It is a terrific memorial: restrained, dignified, simple and touching. They are constructing a huge precinct around it so I hope they keep the dignity it has now.



From there we hopped on another bus and went to Battery Park and got off again. Battery Park was very busy with ferries going out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and other boats doing harbour cruises. The line up for Liberty Island must have been at least 2 kilometres long. I had a beer and Gail had a lemonade and we sat in the shade and watched the goings on. We walked right around the park looking at the views. At just before 2pm we went back to pick up another bus. It did not arrive until 2.45 so we were not impressed, particularly as the other bus companies that do the same thing had at least a dozen buses come past, and when it did arrive it was full and while Gail got a seat upstairs I had to stand downstairs. I finally got up stairs at Park Avenue, about 30 minutes later. Not impressed.



We left the bus at 8th Avenue and checked where the night tour left from then walked back to the ship down 50th Street. When we went into our cabin we discovered that as we have just attained Elite Passenger status they had given us a complimentary supply of drinks for our mini bar so that was a pleasant surprise. We had some dinner in the bistro and a drink then walked back up to 50th and 8th to line up for the night tour. The bus we got onto left just after 8.00 which was a good time as the sun had started to set. The night tour covered many of the spots we had seen during the day but of course with the lights on which gave us a completely different aspect. Then we went across the Manhattan Bridge which, with all the lights on gave us a terrific view of New York City. We did a bit of a tour around Brooklyn and Hoboken then back over the bridge but unfortunately this time on the lower road which spoilt the view.



The bus dropped us off where we had started and we walked back to the ship getting back after midnight. As it had been very humid we used some of our complimentary mini bar supplies.



Day 134 Sunday 26 July

New York

29c humid



After breakfast we left the ship and walked up 50th street to 10th Avenue and then along to 59th Street and up to Columbus Circle. We walked right around the circle and then crossed the road into Central Park. We spent the next 3 hours walking around the park watching how New Yorkers use the spaces.



Lots of people were running and cycling, there were families and groups of people picnicking, playing softball, throwing frisbees and walking their dogs. The horse drawn carriages and the pedal powered buggies were doing a good trade. We found the lakes where people were hiring rowing boats and paddling about, mostly without much skill. On another lake there were heaps of remote controlled model ships.



We came out of the park at the Metropolitan Museum where we waited for a bus. This time it only took 5 minutes so we rode the Uptown Loop back to Bryant Park and then switched to a downtown bus which we rode down to 14th Street and 9th Avenue where the High Line Park begins. The High Line Park is a walk built along the old freight railway line and it runs for two miles up to 34th street. It is a really nice walk taking you through some of the districts we had not seen before. There were a lot of people walking the park, most of them it seems going the opposite way to us.



When we finished walking at 34th Street we went down to 12th Avenue and walked back to the ship past the USS Intrepid an aircraft carrier that is on display. We were going to go onto it and the submarine by its side and the Concorde which is also on the pier but we ran out of time.



We were back on board with about 20 minutes to go and went up on deck to watch the sailaway. It was almost as spectacular as the sail in. We really enjoyed New York and would love to come back and spend more time there, go to some shows, go to the. Issues and galleries, do a trip out to Ellis Island and see a few more of the sights.



Bed early tonight.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb