New york days


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 11th 2024
Published: May 11th 2024
Edit Blog Post

My Big New York Adventures

As a lifelong Anglophile fascinated by big global cities, New York City had always been high on my travel wishlist. When I finally had the opportunity to plan a trip to the United States, I knew I just had to experience the iconic "Big Apple" for myself.

After nearly 9 hours of flying overnight from London, my British Airways flight touched down at JFK airport in the early hours of the morning. Even in the dark, I could see just how vast the airport complex was as we taxied towards the terminal. It made our London airports seem tiny in comparison.

Clearing immigration and customs took ages, the lines were enormous. But I was just too excited to care about the wait. By the time I claimed my luggage and stepped out into the arrivals hall, it was dawn and the first rays of sunlight were streaming through the windows. I caught my first glimpses of yellow taxis waiting outside and knew this was going to be an adventure like no other.

Jumping into one of those iconic checker cabs, I gave the tired but cheery driver my destination - Midtown Manhattan. As we crossed over the tall bridges entering the city, the sun rose higher revealing more of the spectacular skyline in the distance. It took my breath away to see the dense cluster of gleaming skyscrapers silhouetted against the blue sky. We were approaching the fabled island of Manhattan and I could barely contain my excitement.

The cab sped through the streets, navigating endless intersections and weaving around other vehicles. It was faster but bumpier than London's famous black cabs! Before long, the concrete and steel towers grew taller around us until we were enveloped in their shadow. I knew I had arrived in the heart of New York when the driver announced Times Square.

Stepping out onto the pavement, my senses were overwhelmed by the sensory bombardment. Gigantic LED displays flashed colorful advertisements larger than any I'd seen before. People rushed by in all directions, many dressed in flamboyant costumes to entertain tourists. Drivers honked impatiently as pedestrians swarmed crossings. It was chaotic, loud, brash - and utterly thrilling. I was transfixed.

Over the following days, I immersed myself in exploring as much of the city as possible. I spent mornings soaking up the natural beauty and tranquility of Central Park, where locals and visitors alike came to escape the hustle. Afternoons were spent wandering the diverse neighborhoods, taking in the architectural grandeur, street art and myriad cultures. Little Italy, Chinatown and Soho each had their own unique flavors.

Some highlights included catching the Staten Island Ferry for panoramic views of the Statue of Liberty up close, and walking across the iconic Brooklyn Bridge to explore Dumbo and Williamsburg. Evenings were for restoring energy with slices of pizza as big as my face, bagels and New York deli classics like pastrami sandwiches. I also made sure to catch a Broadway show - the talent and production values blew me away.

All too soon, my week-long trip drew to an end. As impatient and frenetic as New York City could feel at times, I knew a big part of my heart would remain here. I've fallen for this exhilarating city with all its contrasts, characters and constant motion. It's given me memories and experiences to last a lifetime. I can't wait to return to the Big Apple someday and discover even more of what makes it truly the greatest city in the world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb