Biking and Birding on Barra.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Outer Hebrides
May 8th 2024
Published: May 8th 2024
Edit Blog Post

My Hebridean adventure continues. I had intended to sail from Oban to Barra. However, as I was asking for the ticket in Calmac's office, the sales assistant pointed to the Ferry that was just setting sail.
"That's it just leaving," he said.

I never spotted the timetable changes on the website. I should probably plan ahead a bit better! This isn't the first time I've just missed the ferry to Barra.

Fortunately, there was a ferry to Lochboisdale on South Uist in a couple of hours, so I booked that instead.

A few hours later I was cycling south on South Usit towards Eriskey. I know I'd never be in time for the last ferry to Barra, so I took my time and enjoyed the scenery and the birdlife. In a couple of hours I clocked up over 30 species.

There's an amazing number of whimbrel passing through. It was only in March that I was watching whimbrel in Mauritania as they headed north.

I also enjoyed a couple of pints in Am Politician bar. It's named after the ship that grounded in the shallow channel between South Usit and Eriskey during WW2. The vessel was carrying thousands of bottles of whiskey to America.

The comedy "Whisky Galore" is based on the events that followed. A very funny black and white film. In reality, there were serious consequences for some of the people involved.

I found a lovely spot near the terminal to camp, before continuing using onto Barra the next morning.


Birds on barra


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb