A bit late but Not On A Train Everyday” 🚅🚆😉Switzerland or bust! Last part 😉


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
August 10th 2023
Published: August 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We checked out of our lovely hotel in Spiez then caught a post bus to the station before catching a train to Lucerne. Yet another scenic journey and the train station in Lucerne is impressive. We walked to our last nights accommodation which was in a former prison. We were given the library cell complete with barred windows, en-suite and shelves full of books. Handily located in the old town we set off for a wander but the heavens opened so we found a bar. The rain didn't last long so we were able to do a circular walk which included the two beautiful wooden bridges over the river Reuss; the historic city walls with 9 towers ( some you can enter and climb to the top for a great view) ; the Lion Monument and the Church of St Leodegar which is considered the most important Renaissance church in Switzerland.
We went back to our cell 😉to book our trip to Mt Pilates for our last day then headed out to dinner at an Italian, eating outside in a square. Packed then bed.We were released from Barabas Prison after a comfortable nights sleep and headed for the station to leave our luggage. We bought breakfast at a bakery and went across the road to queue for the first part of the Golden round trip to Mt Pilates. We boarded a boat to enjoy a slow trip on Lake Lucerne to Alpnachstad. Next was the worlds steepest cog railway with a maximum gradient of 48 percent to the summit. Here we did a few of the available walks and, although the clouds were swirling around, the views were intermittent but still stunning. We enjoyed a picnic lunch and listened to a trio playing alphorns before heading down the other side of the mountain by a large aerial cableway then small panoramic gondolas which take you the last part of the journey into Kriens. There’s a short well signposted walk to the bus stop where the number 1 bus takes you back to the station. A lovely way to spend our last day and again we were blessed with near perfect weather. We collected our luggage and boarded the train to Zurich central station then changed to the train to the airport. Checked our luggage in after using the inter terminal train and had a short time to kill before boarding the flight back to London.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb