Just like a snail. Home is on our backs.


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Haukadalur
July 8th 2023
Published: July 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

And away we go. Picked up from our hotel by the Motorhome people after a surprisingly good breakfast, and we thought our hotel was basic…..

Signed our life (and second daughter) away to get the Motorhome. Then we get the rundown on how everything works. Including how to empty the toilet. Eeeww. Maybe only for emergencies we all thought.

Finally out of the Motorhome place. Almost stalled it but recovered and also stayed on the right (wrong side for us) side.

To the supermarket where we spent the kids inheritance on food etc. And yes, everything in Iceland is expensive.

Off we go towards Reykjavík (capital city of iceland) where I wanted to look at an Icelandic jumper. Found our way to the Red Cross op shop but no bargains. A few places had them but way too expensive to justify buying one. Never mind, got to see a few sights on the way so no real loss. Also found a coffee place where the coffee was judged “good”. Win. And made by an Aussie as well.

On the road to our first sight seeing places. We are heading for the “Golden Circle”. The go to place for all tourists and also Icelanders. Lots of cars, buses and motorhomes.

First stop Thingliver National Park. This is where the 2 continents (Asia and America’s) tectonic plates meet (where earthquakes are made). Very interesting and lots of tour groups from ships in port, etc. Also the site of the 1st parliament in Iceland. All we could see was the split in the rocks but if you scuba you can see the plates- so I’ve been told.

Then onto our first real waterfall (Gullfoss). What a sight. Major waterfall down into a secondary one. Beautiful. Again, lots of people, lots of cameras and even a drone, despite the signs forbidding drones. Guess our friends from countries starting with the letter China can’t read those signs…..

Headed to our first campsite at Geysir to set up our new home. Geysir is where they have GeoThermal activity like Rotorua in NZ but no real smell yet. Paid up and even lashed out on a powered site. Got everything up running on the Motorhome and finally unpacked the cases. Started the heat beads for a BBQ. Guy next door offered the use of his Weber Q. Declined but in hindsight, I am an idiot. After quite a while heat beads going and cooking started.

Eventually ate after a bit of effort. This was at 2100 (9pm for the un 24 houred folk) and still bright outside. Taking a bit to get used to this eternal daylight stuff.

Cleaned up (after having to borrow detergent from old mate next door). He is a nice guy who loves a chat. Showed off his big Ford Ute with all the bells and whistles, including a step and handle that pulls out of his tail gate to help get up if needed…..

Finally to bed after a busy day around midnight. And still light outside……


Advertisement



Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb