Chiana


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Chania
May 6th 2024
Published: May 7th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Venetian HarborVenetian HarborVenetian Harbor

Had dinner at a restaurant on the harbor taking a couple of pix during the evening. View is of the south side with fortress. A bit before taking this pix a group of young folks paraded by casting handfuls of leaflets imploring Israel to "stop the genocide and free Palestine". While many people, including us, feel Israel has taken insufficient care to avoid civilian casualties, yet if someone did not voice abhorrence at the massacre of Israeli civilians, including babies, they forfeit the legitimacy to make this protest.
Another eventful travel day occurred on 1 May departing Cyprus for Crete. Among other events our plane was an hour late, which was exactly our layover in Athens before departing for Heraklion. So, guess what happened? We missed our plane and had to stay overnight in Athens you say. Well no, after dashing about the airport with no clue about where to find our flight, and going through exactly the same security twice, we arrived at a different departure gate than listed on our ticket, discovering they held the full Airbus 320 for an hour to wait on us. Unbelievable, but what a relief...at least for us. No folks, not over yet as our rental car agency closes at nine with the two weary travelers arriving at Herkalion at eight needing to collect luggage and clear immigration. We were actually successful in this endeavor, of course with snags, departing on our two hour drive to Chiana at ten. About an hour into the journey the ever-observant driver finally noticed the gas gauge. Rental cars are picked up full and returned in a similar fashion, right? Not with us. At that point we had well less than a quarter tank traveling through
Venetian HarborVenetian HarborVenetian Harbor

North side with...you guessed it. A lighthouse.
the hinterlands of Crete late at night. Had already passed a couple of gas stations-closed. But again, saved in a nick of time as an opened one popped up. These sort of eventful travel dates need to cease!

As indicated on the previous post, Cyprus, courtesy of the UK, drives on the left side of road. I've had difficulty on each occasion this has previously been required, but in Cyprus, easy on the inception. Went to Crete with driving on the right, and I had difficulty. Wandering over to the left on occasion. Why? IDK.

Okay, enough complaints, now for the pleasant. The weather in Crete is fabulous. Temps in the low seventies with similar humidity and blue skies in contrast to only one such day in Cyprus. To be fair, our week in Cyprus was an aberration. After we departed, their temps were similar to Crete. Furthermore, we are in the beautiful ancient town of Chiana for six full nights. Ah.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Venetian HarborVenetian Harbor
Venetian Harbor

Local couple chatting as the sun sets.
Lighthouse Earning It's PayLighthouse Earning It's Pay
Lighthouse Earning It's Pay

Leftovers boxed and about to head back.
Cretan Mountains Cretan Mountains
Cretan Mountains

Notice snow. Sorry Monsters, no ski lift to take you there.
Roman PathRoman Path
Roman Path

Paved Roman road leading to a theater.
Roman TheaterRoman Theater
Roman Theater

This is what our guide book professes to be a well preserved Greek Theater from 2nd century BC. If by well preserved, they mean restored then perhaps, as we see a great deal of modern restoration that the original almost ceases to exist. After walking for close to an hour attempting to locate this place, I sure was going to include a picture regardless of quality.
British Cemetary British Cemetary
British Cemetary

Graves for the defenders of Crete against the German invasion of May 1941. Tombstones indicate men are from UK, Canada, New Zeeland and Australia. Moving setting. Invasion occurred while the U.S. was twiddling her thumbs allowing Hitler to overrun Europe, much like some of us wish to do for Putin.
Venetian Merchant's StreetVenetian Merchant's Street
Venetian Merchant's Street

Had lunch along this small street a couple of days ago with the waitress informing us this was the preferred location for Venetian merchants to build their mansions. Current residents include restaurants, mom and pop retail spaces and small B&B's. The buildings retain their Venetian aspects being constructed between mid 13th century and early 16th centuries. Also the place is a literal maze of these passageways, some rather wide with others allowing not much more than three people walking abreast. All of quite attractive.
Chania Saturday MarketChania Saturday Market
Chania Saturday Market

Market occurs each Saturday with a ton, I DK maybe two tons, of vendors. They line each side of the road stretching, we estimate, for 200 yds. then spilling out upon an open area, selling super fresh produce and a few specialty items. Sure wish we had something like this stateside as food is simply beautiful, and like most of Europe, less expensive than in the U.S. Look closely, there is also a little snow on these mountains. Correct, that is Bird to the right.
Wee Bit of a BreezeWee Bit of a Breeze
Wee Bit of a Breeze

Temp. as it's been since arriving is low 70's but the wind precludes us using the balcony last two afternoons. When we used to sail, this was Bird's favorite sea conditions.😉We see no yachts anchored outside the harbor today.
City WallsCity Walls
City Walls

Walls were first constructed by the Greeks during the 7th Century BC, repaired by the Byzantines some 1500 years later with the Venetians building walls elsewhere. This part of the Greek/Byzantine wall is across a street from our balcony. Notice how residents incorporated the walls into homes they later built.
Inner Harbor From FortressInner Harbor From Fortress
Inner Harbor From Fortress

On our last day, took a final stroll about the harbor, just beautiful and sad to be leaving. This is from the fortress. Rather large area behind this harbor is a maze of endless streets and alleys (which are small streets), all containing a myriad of shops and restaurants. Googled the combined length of the passageways but no answer. Many miles; we only made a small dent.
Lighthouse From FortressLighthouse From Fortress
Lighthouse From Fortress

Entrance to harbor. We think this place is simply stunning. Quite sad to leave but on to the south in the morning to Sougia.


Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb