Most Walkable City


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
May 5th 2024
Published: May 4th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Despite the experts at Travel and Leisure, there are many walkable cities in the world. I would rank Seattle, Boston, Athens, Tokyo, Lisbon, Vienna, Belgrade, St. Petersburg and Vancouver as my favorite walkable cities.

T & L says: "Munich is officially the most walkable city in the world, for several reasons. For instance, it has a huge 1,468,623km (912,560 miles) worth of bike trails – the second highest anywhere in the world – as well as 86% of the population living within 1km (.62 miles) of a car-free space – again, the second highest on our list," the findings revealed. "Despite Munich’s public transport being the third most expensive … it scores the fourth highest for safety, which is key when walking around, as well as the joint second highest for people living within a kilometer of healthcare and education facilities, at 85%."


I love Munich as much as any city in the world. It always has the "good times" vibe, day or night, in season or off.


Seattle can be a bit hilly, but the Light Rail is always there to rescue tired legs and feet. Plus the food is great!


Boston has the famous Freedom Trail, and many other attractions easily reached on foot or via the MTA. The annual July 4th celebration is a must see in your lifetime.


Athens has become one of my favorite cities, as the variety of neighborhoods seem endless and offer something different for everyone. Plus, I was adopted by my Greek brothers and feel so welcome on each visit.


Tokyo can be quite daunting, easy to get lost, since streets are generally not parallel or even logical. But if you love to wander, this is your city! And it is relatively flat with great public transportation. Great neighborhoods!


Lisbon is generally not on most travel lists, but offers a wonderland of strangeness, funiculars, and great food. The highlight is Old Town, of course.


Vienna, initially would not appeal to most people, but between the culture and the food, it has a great feel to it.


Most people never think of Serbia or Belgrade, but it was a highlight of a recent trip. Still stuck somewhat into the Soviet era, it is slowly becoming a tourist and foodie destination. The Hotel Moskva is a real treat!


While I have no desire to go back, St. Petersburg is a walker's delight, including the canals, Winter Palace, and Nevsky Prospekt. The highlight was visiting the home of Dostoyevsky and the crazy Russian women always posing for photos.


Vancouver seems to delight at every turn, with not one but two Chinatowns, Gastown, Stanley Park, Granville Island, and numerous shopping and dining areas.


Wherever you go, walk the city to get a really good feel for local people and culture. You might be surprised at what happens!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb