June 10


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We got picked up by a new driver, Ivan, at 8 am, to head off to the Monteverde Cloud Forest. We decided not to engage guides – Andrew had been bored by the slower pace before, and David wanted to look mostly for birds. Megan went with us and was very patient – keen on finding mushrooms – and Jean was keen to find a wild orchid.

Megan ended up with 5 types of mushrooms, and David found a new hummingbird (Violet sabre wing) and Costa Rican Warbler. David had also found a new ground sparrow before we had even left – so we are up to around 90 new birds for Costa Rica. We walked all the way to the continental divide - dividing the flow of streams and rivers of course between the Caribbean and the Pacific. So we were up pretty high.

Just about 20 mins from the end the heavens opened up. Good thing we carried our rain gear, as usual. We caught taxis into the town of Santa Elena to have a very nice lunch at Gustaria. Our driver returned at 3. We were all pretty exhausted by the walking and humidity and some took naps. And some of us had to make sure the clothes for the next few days of travelling were ready.

Wrapped up the evening with charades and card games. What a fun place, and a fun trip.

The photos posted are a mixture of birds, views, flowers, and all sorts of things. Included might be a repeat of the amazing ficus tree, whose roots were so deep into the earth and then eroded away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.783s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 73; dbt: 0.4632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb