Magical Bhutan


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
May 6th 2024
Published: May 7th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Flying into Bhutan on a clear day is a thrilling sight. The view of the Himalayas, peaking above the clouds, is beautiful and awe-inspiring. Then, there’s the landing into one of the most dangerous airports in the world. Fortunately, we were able to land on the first approach. After nearly two years of discussion and planning, Brigitte and I had finally arrived. From the moment we stepped into the airport until the moment we departed we were enchanted with this beautiful country and the gentle, kind-hearted people.

Our tour, with Bhutan Travelers, provided us with a guide and a driver. They accompanied us from Jakar, in the east, to Paro and Thimphu, in the west. Our road trip, of 11 days, took us to multiple Dzongs (temple fortresses), monasteries, chortens, museums, a dance festival, valley and mountain hikes, picnics, local restaurants, and farmhouse lunches with local families. Yeshey, our guide, was a wealth of information and Kencho was an excellent driver. We learned so much about Bhutan’s history and their sect of Buddhism. It was a magical adventure and a once in a lifetime experience. I feel so fortunate to have seen this beautiful country and meet these wonderful people.



As many of you know, I haven’t been keeping up with the blog during the past year. I have had requests to add blogs from my past destinations. I will try to accomplish this during the next few months. Feel free to read or delete. Future entries will include Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, Greece, Netherlands, and Switzerland. So many places and so little time!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 89, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jakar DzongJakar Dzong
Jakar Dzong

A Dzong is a fortress temple. Most of these were built between the 8th and the 17th century. Photography is not allowed inside any of the Dzongs or Monasteries. The interiors are beautifully ornate and colorful.
The Domkhar FestivalThe Domkhar Festival
The Domkhar Festival

This was a local festival of sacred dances.


7th May 2024

Hello
Great to hear from you Pam. Pleased you’re having a great time and adventure. 👍🏻

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb