Goris to Sevan


Advertisement
Armenia's flag
Asia » Armenia » East » Sevan
September 14th 2023
Published: September 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We stayed two nights in Goris in the clouds, rain and mist. Once a watery sun peered through, but only once. That was a bit sad as the guidebook suggests there are breath taking views to be seen. In the rain we walked to see the Museum of Bukants house, a famous Armenian writer. It reminded us of visiting the museum in Tusson in the Charente where there are similar rooms and household objects. The rain stopped so We did then visit the amazing rock pinnacles with caves that were habitations from medieval to recent times. It was a good walk out from the town. We were adopted by a small dog all the way. He just seemed to want company. No begging for food. During our travels here so far we have encountered many stray dogs, all peaceful and non-threatening. We have also encountered hundreds, if not thousands, of free range cows, grazing by the roads on the wild mountain plateaus, up steep hillsides. Today for the first time we also saw a cow herd, a woman with a long stick and big hat riding a horse. Mostly the cows seem to be left to their own devices. But no cats....well just one today, which we narrowly missed in the car.

We went in the mist to visit a famous monastery at Tatev. It was an epic journey not far from Goris winding down endless hairpin bends into a deep gorge, then winding up the other side. The epic nature of the drive was due to the enormous lorries which were also winding up and down the road. Turning those hairpins required contortions and sleight of hand...and made for a very slow journey. Hat off to Ken the incredible patient driver.

Today we left Goris behind and drove over towering mountain passes to stay in an amazing eco roundhouse on a hill in the depth of beautiful countryside near Lake Sevan...the bluest of blue lakes, stretching far beyond the eye.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb