Letters from Nigeria - Orientation in Ayetoro, 1972 August 13 - 19


Advertisement
Nigeria's flag
Africa » Nigeria » Ogun » Ayetoro
August 13th 1972
Published: May 8th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Diary

19720813

We went on a bus trip to Abeokuta, the major city about 25 miles from here. Most of the people went in a lorry (wooden seat and covered with slats) but since another girl and I missed the bus (it disappeared as we appeared) we got picked up by the car which was going in to supervise.

In the city we went to the “Oba” or chief’s palace. It is truly a palace, in the Arabic form. Great celebrations were going on because he was just crowned last Sunday. All the women from his district were wearing the same dresses.

19720814

Early morning today! I almost didn’t survive! My first class was at 8:20 and since I was getting up so early anyhow, I tried to make it to Assembly at 8 AM. Another teacher and I both arrived as everyone else was leaving.

Breakfast here is nearly intolerable. They are trying to make Canadian food, but there is a communication gap. Fried eggs are hard, as are boiled eggs. Scrambled and omelets are much better but we’ve only had those once. The day I missed it there was good French toast.

19720815

I had Form 1C again. These kids are so quick at picking up language. All the sounds that are similar to Yoruba (their language) they imitate, although there is some difficulty with “ch” in French and various other new sounds. Their memories are phenomenal. They learned the first lesson in two days and want to act it out time after time. I hope they keep the interest into 2 and 3 forms.

Slides tonight. A one-year volunteer showed pictures of the installing of a new Emir (ruler) in the north of Nigeria.

19720816

Tonight was the Canadians’ turn to show of their culture. It closely resembled a horror show but it was Canadian. Michel sang French-Canadian folk songs which the kids did not understand (language not counting). First of all they made noise, which is acceptable during the louder Nigerian performances, and second they couldn’t see why we liked such sad slow songs. Slap stick they love, as it is both noisy and active (just as Canadian kids love it). Our jug band was therefore particularly appropriate.

19720817

We had a most interesting lecture today by a world-famous Nigerian psychologist who runs the only mental hospital in this country. He had just arrived here from a trip to Amsterdam and rushed over to our orientation to give an impromptu speech. In a series of anecdotes about Nigerians elsewhere and others in Nigeria, he made points about asking questions, avoiding annoyance, seeing problems while they are arising, and just generally how to keep your feet on the ground instead of in the mouth.

19720818

Another dance was held tonight. The band was completely different. They said they were the best band in Ibadan (the largest city in Nigeria and all of West Africa) but they were much more European than the more local group. This is to be expected. There were far fewer students but all the CUSOs came (nearly). Interestingly enough our cultural and perhaps age gap showed clearly tonight. Nigerians do not seem to dance slow dances and only the CUSOs were waltzing.

19720819

Today on the last day of teaching I fouled up my classes. Another class which I had taught was in my room and another teacher said he wanted to teach the whole class (we usually split it). I blithely watched until I realized that my class which had been standing outside was being disbursed by Mr Okinola, the French leader. By the time I realized the error It was too late.

We had an assembly where everyone thanked everyone else, and we presented field hockey sticks. Then our travel plans were outlined. The bus to Zaria is supposed to take at least 14 hours. Tonight was filled with drinking (moderate I’d say) and goodbyes to those going to Ghana and Sierra Leone.



To my grandparents

August 15, 1972

Dear Grandma and Grandpa

I have been in Nigeria one week now and I love it. Every day is filled with things to do. You would like the weather because it is just the temperature to wear a dress comfortably and it rarely rains.

I thought you might be interested to know that there are two teachers here who have just retired, and decided to do something exciting while they still can. I think they are very adventurous to make all these adjustments at an age at which most people take it easy. They are much more experienced than us, however, and Nigeria is probably glad to have them.

Teaching here is lots of fun. The students are so enthusiastic. I have taught Forms 1 (Grade 8), 2 (Grade 9), 3 (Grade 10), and 5 (Grade 12). The kids are so eager to learn that they practically make it easy for me. They hardly want to leave the class, and when they do go, they are repeating the simple phrases they just learned. Also they remember vocabulary well, and easily pick up sounds.

Oddly enough the Form 3 kids are not so excited as those in Form 2. Perhaps it is because it’s their last year of compulsory lessons. Also grammar is introduced more and more, and class isn’t so noisy!

Last Saturday after school, I went to market with two other teachers. We couldn’t buy anything because we don’t know the prices well enough to bargain but it was interesting to look at. All the sellers have little stalls (or sometimes big ones) where they display their goods, usually food or staples. The cloth here is quite different than that in Canada, although I can see some European influence in some patterns. Most of the colours tend to be bright orange or yellow or green, but I did see one piece of deep blue and dark rose. The lady who takes care of us got a cloth seller to come to the residence and I bought material to make a Nigerian dress. It is cinnamon brown, with a black design drawn on, with highlights of bright blue.

The next place we go is to Zaria for language training. The address is on the back, and apparently it takes 10 days for mail, so don’t worry if things are slow. I write my diary every day. Keep well.

Map to date

Advertisement



9th May 2024

So fun to read your letter to grandparents, who were probably then about the age we are now. I'm glad that at least parts of your Canadian-culture showcase went over well. I wonder if there's some general rule that newbies to any musical genre prefer up-tempo variants. I believe I see that in myself.
14th May 2024

Indeed, I wonder what my grandparents thought of my letters. My parents would have been in their fifties, so perhaps more amenable to adventures. Mainly, I think they were just glad to get them.

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb