SA 2023 Reflections on the Journey


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
December 21st 2023
Published: December 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Reflecting on our Travel Adventures in South America

Our travels in South America in many ways have indisputably taken us to a whole new level of adventure. It already feels surreal to think that we condensed so many new experiences - navigating around Buenos Aires, a city of twenty million in a second language; taking on a four day, 48 kilometre hike at 14,000 feet altitude to Machu Picchu; hiking the 16,000 foot Polccoya Mountain; and experiencing a week of boat riding, trekking adventures in the Amazon jungle - all in less than six weeks.

Looking back, I am not proud to admit that one reason we waited so long to travel to South America was because we believed it would be too dangerous for us. That we could not be as carefree as we are, for example, when travelling in Asia, or in Canada. But our first hand experiences have proven this to be false.

Of course there are areas where danger lurks, but this is true everywhere, including in our own country. And of course traveling smart is necessary everywhere. But we have not felt at risk, or threatened, or intimidated, or in danger, at any point in time over the past six weeks. We have freely walked around our neighborhoods, and explored different parts of cities on foot, on buses, and in metros. But what we have experienced everywhere is the kindness of strangers, always eager to offer help to us whenever we asked, or simply looked lost. Invariably, if one person was offering to help us with some question we had asked, perhaps on a bus, metro, or street corner, others within hearing range would also be trying to offer assistance.

Our previous fears were born and bred primarily via the media. Our real experiences have been very different, and they indisputably contradict the constructed media stereotype.

Several times people thanked us for coming here, both in Argentina, and in Peru. Its as if they were bending over backwards to share their kindness, to demonstrate that their country is not as it is portrayed to be in the airwaves.

Travel is truly the best teacher. By first hand experience if possible, or by diving into books of other cultures if that is a preferred or more accessible form of travel. For that which opens the mind also softens the heart, and in so doing, breaks down the fears.

Reflecting on the Philosophy of Travel

A recent conversation about travel is still with me now, as I reflect upon the many miles we have just covered, the countless new experiences we have had, and the constant river of movement in which we were swept along. The conversation evolved around a statement once made by another seasoned traveller years ago, who had said that all dedicated travellers - those whose very lives evolve around travel - are either leaving something, seeking something, or seeking to accomplish something.

As I sit and reflect upon this, now back at home for a very brief period before we embark again soon to Asia, I find it fertile ground for self reflection. And here I am speaking entirely for myself, as these perspectives do not necessarily represent the mindset of my husband and fellow Dreamchaser, Stan.

At this time of year, I sometimes question whether I travel to remove myself from the image of a connected multi-generational family that I have often yearned for but simply do not have. Christmas of course exemplifies this, for families, like small towns, whither and die if all the young people leave. And in my immediate family, all the young people have left. Our daughter died twenty one years ago. She would be thirty nine now. Our one son, whom we typically see once every year or two, lives far away in another part of the country, and is currently with his partner, traveling on motorbikes, traversing other continents for a year and a half, doing their own seeking of adventure, accomplishment, or whatever else. This particular trip to South America was a family reunion engineered by our son, and his partner, which included as well his aunt / my sister-in-law, who is very close to our immediate family. We had not seen any of them for eighteen months prior. There is no other other younger generation now or to come. And my siblings and their families, loving and caring in their own worlds, are distantly, and happily living their own lives.

There are certainly aspects of travel which involve leaving something behind. Perhaps it is different for other travellers, for we all carry our own baggage, but that has periodically been mine.

But inasmuch as travel serves as a vehicle for leaving something behind, it also offers wide open horizons in which to find that which one is seeking, which almost invariably is found in the kindness of strangers, who become friends, who become family, and a sense of community, or communities, however fleeting, is established along the way. We are, after all, social animals.

And of course, there is always a hidden drive to accomplish something, although I prefer to think of it as taking advantage of the learning opportunities which are offered. My interests in language study are essentially inspired and fueled by the personal connections with local people that these endeavours make possible, and although yoga studies have certainly been my focus for many years, learning opportunities are abundant in a plethora of domains if you seek them, and I have always been a seeker. And I’d be totally lying if I said that hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu was not a personal accomplishment. Hands down the most difficult physical endeavour I have taken on in seventy years of living, it was very much an accomplishment. I will own the title of trekker forever. 👍

What it all boils down, it seems, is growing, belonging somewhere, and finding community everywhere. Or, as that very old adage goes « Home is where the heart is ». Some hearts roam, others not so much. Following the heart wherever it leads is the most important, wherever and whatever that means for each of us, but there are moments when I feel the theme song of my life is U2’s « Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For ». But then George Harrison’s lyrics return to mind, and I am reminded that « All Things Must Pass », and remain forever grateful for this river of life, complete with its highs and lows.

The philosophy of travel, as George Santayana has suggested, is that travel is an extension of the journey of life, where we can acquire deeper insights about ourselves by exposure to « otherness » found abroad. But whether abroad or at home, sadness and happiness still remain essential flip sides of the same coin, as does light and dark. It is from there that we acquire depth, empathy, and compassion.

So during this season in particular, I remind myself that the traveler’s lifestyle I have chosen is simply not conducive to the Disney family image that periodically haunts me. I am happy with the choices made, albeit the personal costs involved. I am very happy for my son and his partner who are avidly and courageously pursuing their inclinations to wander the planet and live life to the fullest, even if it entails the considerable sacrifice of being so far from loved ones at this time.

Special warm greetings to those of you reading this who also find this season challenging. Another season soon will come to pass.

Thank you for your interest in our travels and philosophical musings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb