LADY ELLIOT ISLAND...100% Eco Paradise


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Lady Elliot Island
March 11th 2023
Published: March 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

80 kms off the Queensland coast accessed by 12 seater plane from Bundaberg or Hervey Bay is a tiny coral cay that is 100 percent Eco and 100 percent satisfaction.

The southern most island of the Great Barrier Reef and a haven for corals, seabirds, colourful fish, manta rays, turtles & humans...limited to 330 guests who snorkel, scuba dive, bask or otherwise simply enjoy the teeming wildlife.

Where else can you find a piece of paradise where there is Nil to complain about?

As Jack Johnson sings "In times like these...what will be will be...and so it goes."







A last minute plan to spend time with my sister for Christmas in Queensland leads to a few days on a previously booked out tropical island.

Who'd have thought?

How often do last minute plans lead to serendipity in over drive?

When Denise & I 'wing it' in travel...it happens quite often we find!

******



My sister lives within a stones throw of Woodgate Beach near Bundaberg, Queensland...invitations to visit were tempting but during Covid, Aussie state borders were closed.

Denise & I are travellers who need to fly. So in mid December I rang my sister and asked if we could stay with her for a few weeks for Christmas 2022...she delighted to oblige...suggesting we must include time on Lady Elliot Island, the Manta Ray capital.

Onto the internet...of course it was booked out for months.

Then a small opening for an Eco cabin for 3 nights from Boxing Day (26 December 2022) so I rang the Resort and they were even more surprised than me that a vacancy had suddenly opened.

Booked it...gotta pack...get to the airport...the Dancing Ones are coming.



What to bring

Purchased a GoPro Black 11 and got hints from our son in Canada who is the GoPro & Drone King. Now I have waterproof camera gear in addition to my usual.

Reef Shoes obligatory for a tiny coral cay surrounded by coral reefs...boardies...sunburn cream...shorts...shirts...undies...toothbrush & toiletries...medications...that's about all. The island supplies linen, towels & snorkeling gear.

Luggage as little as possible as max 15kg per person for the small plane to the island. Lucky that doesn't include my carry-on camera gear!



How to get there

40
minute flight in a 12 seater plane 83 kms from Bundaberg to Lady Elliot...others can fly 120kms from Hervey Bay...the island like a tiny beating heart in the endless Pacific sea...bouncing on landing as the tarmac is dirt and grass... pilot so skilful to him like sipping a cup of tea.



What to find

The adverts on the internet are punchy & brief:

"Over 1,200 species of marine life - manta rays, turtles, and unspoilt coral reef. Natural Beauty. Eco Friendly. Picture Your Toes In The Sand! Best Snorkeling In Aust. Guided Diving Tours. Crystal Clear Water. Home Of The Manta Ray. Low-Key Eco Resort."

If that's the Welcome Mat...being there reveals much, much more



History

Said to never have been part of the Australian mainland it is believed it first was above sea level as a coral shingle spit about 3,500 years ago. Thereafter storms deposited coral shingle providing nesting areas for seabirds whose dropping led to its surface being raised and vegetated.

It is thus a coral shingle cay rather than a sand coral cay.

Walking along the shorelines that surround the island is an adventure navigating the crunch and slip and slide of massive deposits of coral shingle with rocks of fossilised corals thereon.

The remainder of the island is raised and land and sand/soil-formed without the crunch.

The island was discovered in 1803 which resulted in a brief period in 1805 of sea cumber farming for the Asian delicacy market, abandoned when depleted.

In 1816 it was rediscovered by Captain Thomas Stuart in the ship 'Lady Elliot' and the island was thus named.

Between 1863 to 1873 it was mined for guano (bird poo) for fertiliser and gunpowder removing layers of deposits (about 1 metre of topsoil and 20,000 tonnes of guano).

This removed all vegetation except 8 Pisonia trees that were retained as shade from the tropical sun and rain for the Chinese & Malay workers.

The 8 Pisonia trees remain to this day but the coral cay was so bare that seabirds abandoned it for nesting and only a lighthouse with its lonelier lighthouse keeper's families was its sole reason for habitation. The graveyard of misery, a daughter died of pneumonia in 1896 and suicides of a lighthouse keeper's wife in 1907 are sobering indeed.

In 1969, a keen aviator Don Adams built an airstrip and commenced conservation, revegetation and tourism on Lady Elliot with the assistance of Commonwealth Government grants, receiving a conservation award in 1994 for his revegetation achievements. By the late 1980s trees obstructed the effectiveness of the lighthouse requiring in 1994 a 43 metre fully automated light tower with 6 revolving light beams visible for 40 kms from the island.

The current operators took over the lease in 2005 from the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and have worked tirelessly to create one of the highest ecologically friendly tourism locales, not only in the Great Barrier Reef but in Australia.

The solar power station, desalinated water, reduction in diesel use and carbon carbon emissions by over 70 percent...awards for Advanced Eco Certification...truly inspiring.

With revegetation the seabirds returned...once a barren wasteland now an island with the second highest diversity on the Great Barrier Reef with about 100 species of land sea migratory birds...and NO predators.

The air filled with birds...the sea filled with coral reefs and sea life aplenty...the island a pleasure to wander and enjoy.



Island Life

The joy of travel is often highlighted by the people we meet.

Our first greeting was Sandy in the Dive Shop who claimed to be "The Good Looking One"...but with its band of super capable and friendly diving guides, marine and bird experts, chefs and hospitality staff, he had plenty of competition!

Fitted us out with flippers & snorkel gear and booked us in for our introductory snorkel lesson.

As we headed to our Eco Cabin I got waylaid.



LEI Birds by their thousands

White-capped or Brown Noddys in every branch of every tree...nests of twigs and leaves...one on the nest...its partner for life beside or fetching more nesting materials...white bird droppings like cake icing flowing from each...incessant squawks...Bridled and Crested Terns also filling the shoreline trees...a strutting Eastern Reef Egret...Buff-Banded Rails, Pacific Golden Plovers and Capricorn Silvereyes searching for insects...watching and ducking as I walk while Noddys and Terns swoop head high!

Armadas of Frigate Birds patrolling the skies with pairs of smaller birds in synch sweeping, darting or swooping...the occasional Sea Eagle avoided by others.

I got up up one morning at 4:30am to catch the 5 a.m. sunrise...thousands and thousands of birds suddenly emerging together from the trees...crossing the reef in saturated battalions greeting the first glimpse of the sun...then swooping back to enjoy their day.

The Eco cabin suited us fine...we each had a lower bunkbed with all our gear loaded on top. Full glass frontages with heavy curtains & sliding doors, louvered windows to catch the breeze...pairs of terns holidaying, caring for chicks or fighting on the steps & below every window...perfect to sit on the deck and watch the bird carnival in the sky.

But late at night was another World. Cosy in our cabin awoken by screams from the wooded area behind our cabin.


"Someone is being murdered"




Crying of babies...lamenting moans...more screams..."Where are my Musician's earplugs when I need them?"

Wedge-tailed Shearwaters AKA Muttonbirds having arrived from Siberia are nesting.

The brochure says, "They have an interesting 'love song' that you may hear at night sounds like a baby crying or ghostly wail."

Talk about understatement...at least we are not sleeping on the ground or in tents into which they collide with exhaustion after their long migrations.



Walks, Educational Tours & Eating & Drinking

First foray for Denise and I was a walk along the coral shingle beach. Fascinating. Fossilized coral on rocks...flat corals in the shimmering shallows...coral hunks & shards piled feet deep against the grassy treed banks of the island...birds in and out...above and around...the sun beating down as ever-present reminder we are in the tropics....on dusk returning to roost in their thousands.

Could not help feeling if t'was not for the sun and the strong sea breezes forcing me to hold my hat on my head...I could be out here forever!

There is always something for everyone on Lady Elliot Island.

Educational tours such as bird watching, the lighthouse, eco projects, turtle egg laying, history...just look at the Daily Notice Board in the Dining area...all worth looking into.

But being terrestrial we had to recharge with the fabulous buffet meals in the Dining room with Mango Breeze Gin Cocktails...the sea breeze so strong that eating on the expansive decks was often prohibitive.

Meal times are often the best time to observe the wildlife...the human kind...body language between diners a great indicator of who may be the best company.

'Cos to us...the joy of travel is often the people we meet.

A couple from Brisbane engaging us...pity it was their last evening as the yarns were great.

I noticed a young couple whose connection across their intimate dinner table...even the way they held their wine glasses and smiles..."Gotta meet those two", I thought.

And we met the next day in a fortuitous way. Spent many hours and meals with Myron & Bhoomi as a result.

Meeting at the Dive Shop for our first glass bottom boat & snorkel foray...two had forgotten their reef shoes...sent back to their cabins to get them...Denise commenting to the other survivor, "Maybe we should leave them!" The other laughing in agreement.

Myron is a medical doctor with a PhD...so I called him "Doctor Doctor" and his girlfriend Bhoomi is a schoolteacher in a NSW country town...fabulous company where any age difference was refreshingly not a factor.

Chatting to them about dive areas when another from our snorkel approached asking if she could join us for a snorkel in the reef off the beach in the afternoon. That's how we met Lyle in full wetsuit, a retired teacher from Hervey Bay who is a regular at Lady Elliot, whose husband Grahame we also spent time with.

I will always remember that first snorkel.

I had thought it was going to be an introductory lesson in a pool as we had not snorkeled in the Great Barrier Reef for many years...thus leaving my reef shoes (until I had to return to get them)...but more significantly not taking my GoPro as I had thought we were not going out on the reef.

For the next hour all I could think was, "I wish I had my GoPro" as we saw Manta rays from the boat. There was no lesson but straight into it...swimming among corals with green turtles, a reef shark, nemo, myriads of rainbow, coloured and striped fish for 40 minutes...beats of my flippers and heavy breathing..."I wish I had my GoPro" going around and around in my head.

The next morning when we went out again...this time with my GoPro...the water clearer but yet another lesson for young players.

To make it easier to use my GoPro, I opted at the last minute for a life jacket, "I can float on the surface and film to my content", was my thought.

Yet the buoyancy of a life jacket had its downside.

When I first looked up I found I was over 100 metres from the dive boat...the current carrying me into the Greater Pacific...yeeka...found it an ordeal to get back to the buoy lines that marked the dive areas.

Found Denise, who is a strong swimmer...schools of fish brushing our faces and bodies..."Glad I brought my GoPro" now.

Later had a reef swim off the beach with Denise, Myron, Bhoomi & Lyle. Was like a washing machine for Bhoomi and me...the others doing better but cutting short due to strong swell. Sometimes the sea decides who is boss...not we!

Myron also has a GoPro and can dive to depths like a pearl fisher...his videos the stuff of legends.

He had one reef snorkel where he followed a green turtle that would wait for him to catch up...then shoot off at speed...wait for him to catch up...speed off...took him to the end of the island with the current...bit of an ordeal to get back to Bhoomi on the beach...videos shown to us that evening that were truly extraordinary.

Met Jhonny from Venezuela who was there for the scuba diving...one of a number of overseas visitors who were there to do just that.

T'was sad to leave but I reckon 4 days and 3 nights is just right...goodbyes to new friends and thanks for the memories...my camera and GoPro and the incessant squawks of birds imbedded in my head.

Lady Elliot Island.

We are keen to return and will not forget.


Additional photos below
Photos: 103, Displayed: 31


Advertisement




11th March 2023

Don't be sad you forgot your GoPro
Sometimes it's better without a camera. You can focus more on the critters themselves then on trying to film them or take a picture of them. Besides you have your very own GoPro with you all the time, eyes, ears and all the other senses, with an awesome processor called the brain that stores it and can replay it over and over again.
11th March 2023

Don't be sad you forgot your GoPro
There are no images from my GoPro in this blog Ralf, so I admit I have not mastered it yet. Unlike yours, my brain unfortunately has its digital limitations. I rely on Denise to read the manuals for anything technical and she refused to read the manual for the GoPro for me. So what's a fella gotta do? Lucky I also had my camera for the terrestrial experience! Thanks for your words of solace and wisdom.
12th March 2023

I've been there!
What a surprise to read about a little island I got to visit back in 2008. We camped and it was unbelievable, the noise from the birds. I couldn't hear myself think and would wade into the shallows to get away, only to run back in when a few black tip sharks would zero in on me. Amazing snorkeling out in the atoll. I saw stuff I never dreamed of seeing. Hello to you and Denise! It's been a while. Hope you are both well and dancing.
12th March 2023

I've been there!
You were there in 2008 Andrea...all the way from Canada! How good is that!!! I bet its changed heaps since you were there and the eco developments, snorkeling facilities and increases in vegetation and bird populations would stagger you. However the relaxing ambience is still ever present. Wonderful to hear from you and thanks for commenting.
13th March 2023

Stunning part of Australia...
We are yet to explore Queensland in any real way, so thanks for the lovely photos. Good to read of your travels again David and Denise :)
13th March 2023

Stunning part of Australia...
Thanks for commenting Ren. If there is an upside of Covid it is that Australians have been exploring our own country's abundance of stunning locales. Lady Elliot Island is a tiny gem off the coast of Queensland that was always there that we are so glad to have now discovered!
13th March 2023

The Lady Elliot
This is a location we didn't get to while in Australia and would have enjoyed the area. We have a go pro now also and are learning how to use it. Marvelous snorkeling and boating. The waters are healing.
13th March 2023

The Lady Elliot
The Great Barrier Reef stretches for over 2.300 kms off the coast of Queensland and includes about 900 islands of which most are undeveloped. We have spent time on a handful and now we have discovered the most southern in Lady Elliot we are delighted to have enjoyed its special charms. Worth adding to your bucket list Dave & MJ. Only the other side of the Pacific for you in USA!
13th March 2023

Paradise found!
Dangerous One here.....looks like you had a great trip. A birder's paradise as well. Good to see you out and about!
13th March 2023

Paradise found!
Right on Dave. It may be the Manta Ray capital but the birds never ceased to squawk, "Look at me". And more and more tell their friends it is the place to nest and visit. A birder's paradise indeed!
13th March 2023

Dreamland!
Sure looks like our kind of place! Lady luck was with you to get there by chance. That's the joy of travel, grab it wile you can. Sadly, we've fallen out of love with the long distance stuff, preferring to hang around the Uk in our motorhome. Thanks for letting us dream along with you.
13th March 2023

Dreamland!
Serendipity or Lady Luck was certainly smiling on us for this one David & Janice. Your motorhome in UK sounds like just the place to enjoy and dream. Thanks for commenting.
13th March 2023

Someone Else's Lemons Became Your Lemonade
Wow, how fortunate that there was a vacancy. This trip sounded absolutely amazing. As His Dudenss said, sometimes it is good to go without a camera and soak up the moment. I am so glad you had it for the rest of the trip. Great story.
13th March 2023

Someone Else's Lemons Became Your Lemonade
Love the lemonade analogy Brendan. Enjoy the Galapagos...soak up the moments...not that you will have time to do otherwise!
14th March 2023

Paradise
A little piece of paradise... thanks for sharing. Great to see you made some lovely memories.
14th March 2023

Paradise
A long way for you from England to Oz, Alan. But how lucky are we to be able to share special memories and events with our friends in the ether as your last blog so proudly exclaimed. Thanks for commenting.
14th March 2023

Paradise Indeed
What a stunning island. Love the shots of the birds in flight.
15th March 2023

Paradise Indeed
Glad you liked the birds in flight pics, Nenene. I probably had more attempts at those than any others. Whoosh here, ducking, whoosh there..always a challenge, always fun. Loving you China adventures...keep 'em coming!
25th April 2023

Looks lovely
It really looks like a paradise island. I have seen a few places like that from above when I have flown over them. Each time I think "It looks so good! I would love to go there and spend a few days there". I am still waiting for the first time to visit one of those paradise islands. You went and now at least I got to read a bit about one and see some pictures from there. Thanks! /Ake
3rd May 2023

Looks Lovely
And tiny considering the dark green is the island and the white is the surf breaking on the coral reef that surrounds it. On my first flight to China we flew over a tiny island with a volcano at one end and I looked down the cone in awe. I think it was near New Guinea. I looked for it on each flight since, but alas, it eludes me. Happy memories Ake, what the joy of travel is all about!
18th July 2023
Lady Elliot Island

Incredible!
That photo is nuts. The waves look like razorblades.
18th July 2023
Lady Elliot Island

Incredible!
Thanks for checking in Bellini. Rare to get a good pic from the air but as the only way to get to Lady Elliot Island is by air, t'was a chance too good to miss. Glad to have discovered your blogs too!

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 24; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb