The Fort and Other Famous Institutions


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
May 17th 2024
Published: May 17th 2024
Edit Blog Post

<button class="ms-Button ms-Button--action ms-Button--command is-disabled dwpQ_ root-788" style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: transparent; font-size: 12px; font-family: 'Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web (West European)', 'Segoe UI', -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif; margin-right: 6px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; outline: transparent; position: relative; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; border-radius: 2px; text-align: left; height: 40px; user-select: none;" type="button" disabled="disabled" data-is-focusable="false">3 attachments (161 KB)</button>

I have only been to a handful of famous places to eat. Just outside of Denver: Proprietress and culinary director Holly Arnold Kinney has created an eclectic exotic steak menu at The Fort since its establishment in 1963, including a Game Plate with elk medallion, buffalo sirloin medallion, and grilled teriyaki quail. The Incorrect Steak is a 14-ounce Colorado natural beef New York strip topped with a blend of melted Mexican cheeses, New Mexico Dixon red chile sauce and a fried egg. The Gonzales Steak is a 14-ounce Colorado natural beef New York strip stuffed with New Mexico Hatch green chiles, topped with a freshly grilled chile pod and served with seasonal vegetables and potatoes. Fun fact: Kinney once had a pet black bear that lived at The Fort. Back when I went, if you could eat the Gonzalez without drinking any milk, it was FREE!



Moving on to Hawaii: At the moment, Hy's is undergoing a major kitchen renovation and is expected to reopen in mid-May. Meantime, Hy's has a pop-up restaurant at La Vie at the Ritz-Carlton Waikiki Beach. Start with a free basket of Hy's cheese bread, then choose from an assortment that includes prime filet of beef Wellington, garlic steak, filet and foie gras, Kiawe broiled steaks, New York strip, Delmonico, filet mignon, bone-in rib-eye, and 32-ounce porterhouse steaks. There's a choice of several sauces to accompany the steak. Hy's Steak House is inside Waikiki Park Heights Hotel and provides dazzling views to go with the fare. It felt rather strange to fly all the way to Hawaii, and eat steak. But the local guys (all 442 veterans) insisted that we eat at Hy's. We closed the place down!
More on Hy's: You'd be wrong to think Hawaii is all about seafood. Hy's is a classic steakhouse, where waiters wear tuxedos and make Caesar salad and bananas Foster at your table. Here, steaks are cooked over Hawaiian kiawe wood, which gives them a unique flavor. Top orders include roasted prime rib, filet mignon, and the classic British dish beef Wellington. Who wears a tux in Hawaii. But then again, I was on a business trip and price was not a concern!



And to OKC (why was I even there?): Since 1945, the historic Cattlemen's Steakhouse has fed movie stars, politicians, and power brokers. The "Presidential Choice" T-bone steak is a bestseller, but it's just one in-house-aged, hand-cut prime, and choice steaks to choose from. Add some lamb fries or okra, and finish with a simple-but-delicious house-made dessert. We saw no stars that I recognized, but the guy I took to dinner ordered TWO steaks!!! It is the only decent place that served wine.



More on Cattlemen's Steakhouse: Generally acknowledged as the oldest continuously operating restaurant in Oklahoma City, the historic Cattlemen's Steakhouse opened in 1910, serving the ranchers, cowboys, and cattle haulers working in the area. Over the years, the steakhouse has become the top spot to sample some of the Midwest's prized beef. Featured in Southern Living's Off the Eaten Path column, as well as on TV shows like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and Man v. Food, it's one legendary spot you can't miss when in pursuit of exceptional American steak. It is the only decent place to eat in OKC.



Best in Indy: Famous throughout the Midwest and frequented by celebrities and racing car drivers, St Elmo Steak House is a welcoming old-school establishment that serves USDA Prime dry-aged steaks and a mean prawn cocktail (you can buy a bottled version of the signature sauce as a souvenir). Opened in 1902, it's Indianapolis' oldest steakhouse in its original location, still serving the highest quality beef that's loved by locals and visitors alike. As I said before, this is the ONLY place to go on the eve of the Indy 500!



Show me in Missouri: An old-style steak house, Dierdorf and Hart's is the place for steak in St. Louis. Named for two big St. Louis Cardinals stars (Dan Dierdorf and Jim Hart), it is one of the best places to eat in St. Louis. The steaks and wine list (they had Silver Oak when it was a big deal) are outstanding. But when my client decided to eat the entire artichoke leaf, he wondered what I was feeding him!!!



It seems like the Brennan family owns Nawlins: Located in the heart of the French Quarter, award-winning Dickie Brennan's has been open for more than 75 years and remains a New Orleans hot spot. The steakhouse adds a unique Creole touch to most of its dishes, and the USDA Prime steaks can be paired with fresh Gulf seafood. The seared crab cakes are among the top appetizers, and the dessert list has plenty of eye-catching dishes to finish the meal on a sweet note. I also enjoy the original Brennan's, as well as Mr. B's.



Who, in the right mind, would have steak in Seattle, when they have great seafood? Even before Seattle made its mark on the food map, The Met, as locals call it, was an old-school institution frequented by diners with big appetites. Located in the historic Marion Building, Metropolitan Grill is a favorite for special occasions and first-class meals. The menu shines with top-quality steaks, superb seafood starters, and a chateaubriand for two, carved tableside. Well, always go where the client wants to go. And yes, it was outstanding food!



Another favorite: A DC landmark, Ben's Chili Bowl has been favored by plenty of local residents over the years – including a few famous faces. The joint first opened in 1958, and is best known for its signature half-smokes (bigger, spicier hot dogs) and secret-recipe chili. The James Beard–acclaimed fast food restaurant can count many celebrities among its fans, but perhaps its biggest moment in the limelight came in January 2009, when the then President Barack Obama swung by for a meal. Always a long line here but worth the wait!



And now the best: Chez Panisse and its founder, legendary chef Alice Waters, were doing farm-to-table way before it was a thing. Famous for pioneering locally sourced cooking as far back as the 1970s, Alice and the restaurant have received plenty of recognition from the James Beard Foundation, including a prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award. Alice remains one of the most influential figures in American cookery – and her restaurant has continued perfecting its daily set menus to this day, offering dishes such as halibut carpaccio, king salmon with summer squash, and Gulf shrimp with grits. It's a true must-visit destination for any foodie.



There have been many visits to other "famous" places: Grand Central Oyster Bay, and Katz's Deli in NYC, The Berghoff in Chicago, The Brown Derby in LA, Joe's Stone Crabs in Miami, Sardi's in NYC, Jack's (no longer there) in San Francisco, Scoma's in SF, Union Oyster House in Boston, Mary Mac's in Atlanta, Haliimaile General Store in Maui, Old Ebbitt Grill in DC, Commander's Palace and Acme Oyster in Nawlins.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb