Baba Ghanoush


Advertisement
Middle East » Jordan
October 8th 2023
Published: January 3rd 2024
Edit Blog Post

I put a deposit down on an apartment in Tel Aviv for the month of November with the idea I would leisurely find my way from Egypt to Israel via Jordan and Lebanon. When Hamas kicked the Israeli hornet nest on October 7th, I was in Luxor, and I suddenly had to scramble to enact a plan B. As any seasoned traveler knows. You have to be ready to pivot your itinerary at a moment's notice when somethin... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

El JefeEl Jefe
El Jefe

Our Bedouin host would pull up on us in his land cruiser and have a tea with us.
Habibi and I Habibi and I
Habibi and I

Soaking up some Dead Sea and about to slap on some mud. I put my camera away, I didn't trust it around all that salt.
ProofProof
Proof

Camel Toe footprints in the sand, so we knew those desert ships were somewhere out there. But they are very good at hiding.
Aqaba manAqaba man
Aqaba man

friendly enough. He agreed to this picture. I showed it to him and he smiled a toothy grin.
Riding DirtyRiding Dirty
Riding Dirty

I don't support any trade that involves animals and tourism, so I chose to walk, even though I would have loved a ride.
Roman Ruins in JordanRoman Ruins in Jordan
Roman Ruins in Jordan

Amazingly preserved Roman city of Jerash was a super impressive complex full of streets and shops and coliseums going back 6500 years.
Melty RockMelty Rock
Melty Rock

I can't believe how the rock looks like dripping candle wax. How hot is the place anyways. If its 33c now during winter, what is 55c like in the summer?
Never a boring view in Wadi RumNever a boring view in Wadi Rum
Never a boring view in Wadi Rum

I cannot get over the stunning landscapes of the desert in Wadi Rum. How magical. My iphone could never capture the true scale.
Tropical vacay or Dead Sea?Tropical vacay or Dead Sea?
Tropical vacay or Dead Sea?

Interestingly, the sea has retreated so far that you have to take a shuttle to reach the shoreline from the resorts.
Fresh Pomegranate anyone?Fresh Pomegranate anyone?
Fresh Pomegranate anyone?

Oh wow the fresh juice squeezed in the little shops in Madaba was well worth the cost.
Wadi SplendorWadi Splendor
Wadi Splendor

You can't take a bad photo in Wadi Rum. The colours of the desert are just so photogenic. These rocks shaped by eons of wind, unbelievable.
The Falafel winner!The Falafel winner!
The Falafel winner!

I mean I love Middle Eastern food but this particular wrap won the award for best tasting ever.
Moseic floors on Mount NeboMoseic floors on Mount Nebo
Moseic floors on Mount Nebo

Unbelievable artisan work done so many years ago. Moses probably walked on these very tiles.
PoserPoser
Poser

Almost anyone I asked for a photo was more than happy to oblige. This free man asked that I find him a Canadian wife. Takers?
Amman at NightAmman at Night
Amman at Night

Such a captivating city. I liked it better than Madaba!



3rd January 2024

Jordan
Sylvia and I have been to Jordan twice. We were at Petra a couple of days after 9/11 and it was totally deserted.. Glad you enjoyed it. We were going to go on to Israel but the borders were closed so we took a ferry from Aqaba to Egypt instead.
7th January 2024

How lucky for you to have Petra to yourselves! It sounds like you had to pivot your plans as well. That would have been great to do a ferry from Aqaba to Egypt. There are so many options for seeing the Middle East, how be it restricted for right now. Did you ever make it to Israel?
5th January 2024

what a treat to find a post from your world in my in-box. Thank you for taking me to a far-away place on this cold Colorado day. I so love your writing and appreciate the time and effort you make to share your experiences with us out here shivering at our desks. :)
7th January 2024

Well, hello stranger!
Hi to you! I hope you and your family have been well Alisa! I'm now in Mexico and away from the cold of Canada for as long as I can be. We are predicted to get a polar vortex this week. This was my first experience with the Middle East, and not my last. I loved the Jordanian people and their history. Food and culture. I can only hope I can get back someday soon, Inshallah. Stay tuned, as I headed for Turkey. Thanks for your kind comments as usual. Its a hoot doing a blog about my experiences.
5th January 2024
Jerash ancient roads

I need to allow more time than I thought
We have been thinking about visiting Jordan some day. Now that I read your blog I realise that there is plenty more than Petra worth seeing. Good to know that. We will make sure we have plenty more time to spend exploring the country than I first thought we needed. /Ake
7th January 2024
Jerash ancient roads

On Jordan time
Yes, I do believe you must allow yourselves lots of time to explore Jordan, I cannot say enough about that lovely country! I feel I could return and see so much more. I loved the camping and hiking and exploring. I know that would be right up your alley.
6th January 2024

NBD..... flexibility is the key to travel
Plan B worked out well. Always good to pivot as needed. We loved our time in Jordan. It is a unique and lovely country. The people of Jordan are lovely and always described themselves as quiet people with noisy neighbors. So true. Thanks for being nice to the boomer (we need help from time to time. LOL) Thanks for taking us along on this marvelous trip and I'm glad you enjoyed the group.
7th January 2024

Isn't that the truth
Thank you for leading the way with your blogs of Jordan, which of course sparked my interest. I really loved it and can't wait until I can return some day to enjoy more of the Middle East. Our beloved boomer was 80 and had more energy and enthusiasm than all of use put together, it was a honour to travel with him. What a legend!
7th January 2024

Plan B must have stood for Brilliant
Wow Andrea, what a time to be traveling in the Middle East. I admire you for going to Plan B and making a trip that will surely last a longtime in your memories. It is good to see you on the road.
7th January 2024

Brilliant!
Hi! How are you Brendan! Hope you are well. Where are you in this world? I was just reviewing blogs, and your visit with MJ&D to Jordan was next up! Now that I've experienced the foods of Jordan, I can see what all the fuss was about.
7th January 2024

Loved the food in Jordan
Thank you Andrea. I am now in Cleveland, Ohio if you can believe that. I can't, yet here I am. The food in Jordan was amazing. We took a cooking class in Petra, and I still use some of the recipes and ideas at work. Enjoy your travels.
7th January 2024

Hi from Mexico
I would have loved to do a cooking class in Jordan, but alas our tour had restraints. Can always go back one day right? I'm loving retirement, I'm here on the Baja visiting the parents over Xmas. Where are you off to next? I still have a couple more blogs to complete on my latest travels. Stay tuned!
27th January 2024

The rock bridge
Haven't you just got to love Jordan - Petra, Wadi Rum, Jerash, the Dead Sea. Stunning, but also very sad considering what's going on not to far away. We stood on that rock bridge in Wadi Rum as our guide took our photos - I think he's just waiting for the day when he takes the iconic photo of people standing on it when it does actually collapse....
27th January 2024

Wonderful Jordan
I can't say enough about Jordan, what a wonderful country and it was so full of amazing sites and history. I can't wait to go back again. It was so sad to be there during such turmoil in the region and I had such sympathy for both sides of this conflict, as they are just regular people trying to live their lives. War is awful.
28th January 2024

Jordan
Jordan is very much on my to-do list, and you've very much peaked my interest in it with this blog. It looks like you had an amazing time, in such a short space of time. Your Tour Guide really did pack it all in! Very poignant and moving final words Andrea, beautifully written.
28th January 2024

Add it to the list Alex! I now want to add Albania to mine. lol My list continues to get longer, not shorter! Jordan was so very worthwhile, I know how much you love to explore your surroundings and travel by overland. Me too. It was a really special place and full of amazing history.

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 16; qc: 22; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb