Rethymnon


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Rethymno
May 17th 2024
Published: May 17th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Rethymnon LighthouseRethymnon LighthouseRethymnon Lighthouse

Lighthouse at the small Venetian Harbor. Cute but not Chania.
Made it to Rethymnon where the chilly weather continues. However, forecast for Friday was initially 37, no not Fahrenheit, it's Celsius, which would be 99F. Yeah hot. It is Thursday as I now write this with the current forecast indicating we now will experience a cool 93. Bit of a change from our chilly days wouldn't you say?

As for Rethymnon, yes certainly preferrable to Sougia or Plakais, yet it is no Chania. Overall, the island has underwhelmed us. Except for the superb food with cook-at-home prices. We recall a restaurant review where a guy complained of bill totaling 37 Euros (about $40.) where they had a starter, half carafe of wine and two entrees. Would you complain in the U.S.? Plus flavors are just wonderful here. Of course, we do not cook even when staying in Airbnb. Love the food!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lighthouse and SeawallLighthouse and Seawall
Lighthouse and Seawall

This is about the extent of the Venetian Harbor. As with Kyrenia (North Cyprus), commercial boats are allowed access thus marring the view.
Porta GuoraPorta Guora
Porta Guora

Entrance to the old town and the only portion (quite small that it is) of the Venetian Walls that survives. Yes, yes, that is the world famous Bird at right.
Perfume Manufacture Perfume Manufacture
Perfume Manufacture

At left is a cooking box used for extracting aromatic substances from herbs, while on the right is a strainer. Dates from the late 15th Century BCE and excavated from a Minoan city. Like us, smelling nice apparently important to these folks. More about this important civilization a bit later in the trip. There is one other item from Minions we will show you from the museum.
Minoan Burial BoxMinoan Burial Box
Minoan Burial Box

This fella was excavated from Armenoi, which is the largest Minoan Cemetery thus far located. Museum quite small yet collection superb.
Minaret at End of Alley Minaret at End of Alley
Minaret at End of Alley

Walking through the old town noticed this minaret and took a shot. Believe it is at the Neratzes Mosque but didn't visit the place. Rethymnon also has streets and alleys lined by shops, restaurants and hotels. This area is probably as interesting as Chania, but both Bird and I will deny that.
Rimondi Venetian FountainRimondi Venetian Fountain
Rimondi Venetian Fountain

Sure, not a lot here but built in 1626 and need to send some pictures, right? We had lunch at a very pleasant cafe where the edge is seen to the right.
LoggiaLoggia
Loggia

Meeting place for Venetian Nobles. Constructed during the 16th Century. Last pix we took; on to Agios Nikolaos in the morning. Google indicates we will be zooming along the north coast at a blazing 40 mph. Really not bad.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb