Something to this traveling thing...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
January 24th 2012
Published: January 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Evening in the snowEvening in the snowEvening in the snow

The first snow storm in Olympia in so long I can barely remember.
So, I've recently returned from visiting friends and family over in Western Washington. It's a bit ironic, since usually I'd say that about Eastern Washington. However, as I've recently made my home over here, I can't really say I'm visiting anymore. That, of course, will all change in just a few weeks.

During my trip, I got to see some amazing people in my life. For the most part, everything was really fabulous. How could it not be, after all, when you're surrounded by love, comfort, and happiness? These things all infiltrate even the coolest of exteriors and warm them up, much like the sun with the insane amount of snow we got a week ago.

With all of the good company, food, games, and travels - not to mention a lovely electric blanket and little dogs to add to the warmth -, it's hard to be sad. I was able to remember a lot of things that will remain with me, hopefully for a very long time. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in a certain timeline, after all, and it takes a subtle push in a certain direction before you can remember what it is you're
TreesTreesTrees

I think white trees are the best, second only to white evergreens.
really all about.

Anyway, there wasn't much snow until I went from Seattle to University Place to visit my awesome, cool, and pretty much overall amazing brother (let's not tell him that I use such adjectives to describe him though). I arrived on Friday evening and stayed over til Saturday evening. It was then that the first flakes of snow began to fall. We were taking my brother's dog, Tico (Tiko?) out to the empty school ground for a walk, a game of fetch, and monkey bars (my brother was the monkey, the dog was the fetcher; let's leave it at that) when it began. My brother's girlfriend also was there and we were all pretty happy about the new snow, though perhaps they were worried about driving... if so, they didn't let on but such a fear wasn't about to be unfounded.

The snow continued a little bit but not enough to make any impact on the earth. So, I got on a bus heading down to Lacey, intending to visit someone who's always been dear to me just until the following Wednesday morning. The moment Lacey came into sight, I realized this plan might change. There
Homemade cupcakesHomemade cupcakesHomemade cupcakes

A little cupcake shop called Bonjour Cupcakes. Chocolate cupcake with butterscotch and sea salt frosting. The choices were numerous. Lemon was my favorite though.
was already a layer of snow on the ground and more was slowly falling from the sky. It was a bit icy too, but not too terribly.

Skipping the rest of the slower parts... The Lacey area got its first ever snow storm in upwards of 10 years and, for the first time of knowing each other, my friend and I finally got to see it together. It was a real miracle. Then again, it seems to always snow around me at this time of year. Without fail, seriously. I'd like to think it's a sign from Heaven.

People got snowed in. Major roads and passes closed and opened, only to close again shortly after. Freezing rain hit for awhile, though more so where my grandma lives in Eastern WA. Olympia received more snow than any other area in the whole of Washington State. It was so wonderful and the adventures it brought along with it were so amazing, worthwhile, and awe-inspiring. Sure, I delayed my return trip until Saturday evening, but it was well worth it and I was able to spend more time with someone I care about.

I will remember that trip, no matter
Of ice and leavesOf ice and leavesOf ice and leaves

Ice encrusted leaves. They were completely smooth and hard. Some of them could actually be snapped right in half.
what, and be forever grateful and happy for the natural miracles of life. Er, the end for now? ^_^


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Of ice and branchesOf ice and branches
Of ice and branches

Just as pretty as the leaves, just as smooth, hard, and perfect.
Snowy bushSnowy bush
Snowy bush

Perhaps this can serve as a very minor example of just how much snow there was.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb