And the adventure begins!


Advertisement
Published: May 13th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


So, to catch up here on the blog, we're going to combine the 11th and the 12th. So we'll start at the Minneapolis Airport waiting for the bus to arrive that will take us to the Winnebago factory in Forest City. Iowa. It will be a long wait, four hours. We left Bridgewater yesterday at 1:00 and headed to Londonderry to the bus terminal where we would leave our car and take the 2:30 bus. Upon arriving there we found the long term parking lot completely full. Ray then drove to the terminal for guidance and they directed us to the overflow lot. This was also pretty full, but after circleing a few times, we managed to find a spot. It was after removing our luggage and starting the trek to the terminal that we realized that we should have dropped them off when he went in to inquire. So now we had to make the long walk from the back forty, schlepping our bags. Sorry we didn't take pics. When buying our ticket we were informed that cars were only allowed to stay 21 days, and we are going to be gone 23. She did say, however, that we should be okay, but there's always the chance we could be towed. Wouldn't that be a great way to end the trip!

The bus ride into Boston and the hotel shuttle pick up was uneventful. We had decided that with a morning departure, it made more sense to stay close to the airport. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Revere. While the hotel was very comfortable, and immaculate, the view of Revere from the window left alot to be desired. After chilling for a while we went down to have a glass of wine, which turned into two, and had a bite to eat. While in the bar area we struck up a conversation with a couple of guys, who went on to tell us they were with a group from Idaho celebrating their 50th class reunion. After observing the group, who obviously were around nine years younger, we felt pretty good about ourselves. Let's just say that they looked like they were rode hard and put to bed wet. Can't say either one of us had a great nights sleep as there was quite a party going on in the room above us.

Raymond and Tom flew into Minneapolis yesterday and checked into a hotel near the airport. They decided to have lunch at the hotel and will meet us later at the bus waiting area. We had coordinated our grocery shopping lists, and placed our on line order with Walmart, to pick up on Sunday. This should save us quite a bit of time as the only items we will pick out ourselves are the veggies and meat.

So after sitting at the bus terminal at Minneapolis airport for hours, our bus finally arrived. The driver had the wrong placard in her window, so instead of the 4:30 people boarding, the 5:30 people also boarded. This resulted in total mayhem, with people being told they had to get off the bus, and luggage being on the wrong bus. The woman driving the bus was the person creating the problem. Anyway, we took off for Forest City about an hour late for a 2 1/2 hour drive. To say this was an elderly crowd would be an understatement. Let's just say that Tom and Raymond brought the median age level down to about 80. Around an hour outside of Forest City, the most disgusting smell permeated the bus. At first, it was brushed off as a minor slip from someone, but after the 4th or 5th wave hit everyone, people were gagging. I don't think this was just passing gas, rather there was going to be a clothing change needed soon.

Arriving at the Winnebago Rally grounds, we were handed out RV keys, dropped off the bags, and headed over to a food truck they had brought in for supper. The food was excellent, and hit the spot after a long day. We unpacked our bags, got organized, and went to bed. We planned on having a continental breakfast at 8:00 am and hitting the road.

Our first stop was a super Walmart in Worthington, MN, where we picked up our order. Driving through Minnesota, there isn't alot of interesting scenery, just corn field as far as the eye can see. Also, they have hundreds of windmills along the highway. Not very scenic if you ask me. We stopped at another Walmart in South Dakota to pick up some wine and vodka, as we weren't able to get any in Minnesota. Had lunch at KFC, filled the gas tank (ugh), and hit the road for the final push to Oacoma, SD, for our stay at the Oasis RV park.

We had our perfunctory cocktail hour with the boys, celebrated Mother's day with Sandy, and had a lovely steak dinner on the grill.

That pretty much brings us up to date. We'll try to be more regular with the blog going forward. Tomorrow we hit the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore and end up in Gillette, Wyoming.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



13th May 2024

Happy Mothers Day Sandy
What a beginning! I’m tired already! I’m looking forward to traveling with you all. I’m sure it will be a fantastic trip
14th May 2024

Thanks Joan. Hope you had a great Mother's Day
13th May 2024

That was a shaky start to this trip. Hope it all goes smoothly and the scenery improves.
Hope it's a great adventure with gorgeous scenery.
14th May 2024

Thanks, Beth I'm sure it will be great.
13th May 2024
1st fuel stop (7.4 MPG)

checking in//
The pics. are great. T looks excited to be driving (for now anyway). Happy traveling. Was 7. plus MPG a typo or for real? M
14th May 2024
1st fuel stop (7.4 MPG)

Yes, the first fill up averaged 7.9.. the second fill up averaged 8.7
14th May 2024

You poor guys. Off to a tough start but looking forward to the fun times starting. Safe travels and look forward to next blog
14th May 2024

Always an adventure, but a lot of laughs!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb