Paradise on Earth, Persian Garden and Mansion - Shiraz


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran » South » Shiraz
March 10th 2021
Published: March 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 10th March - Paradise on Earth, Persian Garden and Mansion - Shiraz



The garden and mansion of Narenjestan, named after the many citrus trees planted in the garden, was built in 1870.

During its prospering days, in the Qajar era, Narenjestan was the meeting place of nobles and dignitaries. In the Pahlavi era the Qavam family lost its high status and the governmental positions it had gained during the rule of Qajars. At this time, Narenjestan was donated to the University of Shiraz. It is now a museum.



As we entered the domed ceiling was just a glimpse of what was to come.

In the courtyard the painted panels on the walls depict the servants serving food, and above them, some episodes from The Book of Kings.



The typical Persian garden design I had remembered seeing on one of Monty Dons programmes, divided into four sectors, with water playing an important role for both irrigation and ornamentation, the Persian garden was conceived to symbolize Eden and the four Zoroastrian elements of sky.



The porch with 2 stone columns had fabulous decorations on its ceiling and walls.


The rooms above the columned veranda were floored with blue and white tiles. The outer edges of the rooms decorated with floral stucco’s.



Once inside each of the rooms it was a feast for the eyes with it’s elaborate architecture embellished with various Persian arts such as paintings, stucco, wood carving, stone carving, tile work, and mirror work.



In one room with stained glass windows the sun was beaming through creating wonderful prism scenes.



The ceilings were often in the style of tradition Persian carpet design and in the sunlight the mirrored mosaics were twinkling away.



Our virtual trip guide was an excellent guide and when asked to read a notice out in her native tongue it was so poetic.

You can also ask questions to the guide on a chat link and I was wondering about the source of all the mirrors to create the beautiful mosaics & was told that the art form originated during the 16th-century. Mirrors, which at the time had silver backing (rather than the modern mercury and tin), were expensive, imported from Europe, and would sometimes break in transit. In
an effort to avoid wasting this precious material, Persian artisans began creating complex mirror mosaics that could make use of even the smallest shard.



My first virtual trip to Iran, I think I might just be checking out a few more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement












Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb