One More Day of Vacationing


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Nagan
October 7th 2006
Published: November 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Making Rice CakesMaking Rice CakesMaking Rice Cakes

The old-fashioned way
And, lest you think my Chuseok holiday vacationing was over after Busan, I will set the record straight. Indeed, I traveled to Gyeongju, Andong, and Busan, then back to Yeosu, but the fun didn't stop there. The Saturday of my return (the 7th), I was swept away to Nagan Folk Village by some friends of a woman with whom I volunteer at Sam Hye Won orphanage (teaching English to elementary kids). I went with a family who all lived in the US (Ohio) for 18 months-- father, mother, daughter, son. The daughter is in elementary school, and the son (who's English name is Sonny) is in middle school. They are all very proficient, so it was nice spending time with them, getting to know them, talking, etc. etc.

Nagan Folk Village was really cool. I've actually gotten to go twice, but both were equally fun because different things were going on. This time, they were celebrating Chuseok, so they had all kinds of traditional stuff. The second time, I went with an English teacher and his daughter for a food festival, so it was a totally different but equally wonderful experience (I'll explain more later).

So, there was all
Posing with the MayorPosing with the MayorPosing with the Mayor

Posing with the Nagan mayor and the Korean family who took me on the outing. Yes, even the mayor of Nagan dresses up and re-enacts (people still live with their families in the village, by the way... it's not just for tourists!)
kinds of cool reenacting and things like that going on. The village is a thatched-roof village with many displays and restorations, a museum, etc. It also has a nifty castle-type wall around it-- really thick and mean-looking-- which was fun to walk on. And it's also pretty cool that while many houses are open for touring and such (restored to how they were when a castle wall was necessary), many families still live in the folk village, so it's still operating on a modern basis-- just inside the walls, it doesn't necessarily look modern.

So, there are bunch of pictures here of that. Afterwards, we went to a local temple. Overall, a grand time, good company, etc. etc.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Kimchi PotsKimchi Pots
Kimchi Pots

Storage for kimchi and other fermented things in the olden days... I think...
Nagan Folk VillageNagan Folk Village
Nagan Folk Village

And the great wall of Nagan. It's actually pretty thick and could maybe fit three across or so...
Making Rice CakesMaking Rice Cakes
Making Rice Cakes

A woman making rice cakes (or dokk) the old-fashioned way
Making Rice CakesMaking Rice Cakes
Making Rice Cakes

The old-fashioned way
Making Rice CakesMaking Rice Cakes
Making Rice Cakes

...or "dokk"
Making Rice CakesMaking Rice Cakes
Making Rice Cakes

A traditional Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) treat. Here they are mashing together the wet rice to make it into a kind of dough.
Making Rice CakesMaking Rice Cakes
Making Rice Cakes

A traditional Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) treat. Another kind of "dokk" that isn't filled (unlike the colored kind). We got free samples. They'd just smashed it all together to make it doughy (as in the previous two pics), and then they put a kind of soy bean powder (I think) on it. I ate it warm and delicious! (By the way, all these people in traditional dress are all re-enactors of sorts... most Korean people don't dress like that these days ;-))
Crime and PunishmentCrime and Punishment
Crime and Punishment

One of the implements used to make prisoners uncomfortable in Korean olden days. I tried it on for size, and it was pretty heavy. Wouldn't want to stay in that position for too long!
Crime and PunishmentCrime and Punishment
Crime and Punishment

Old Korean prison in Nagan.
The Mayor Doles Out PunishmentThe Mayor Doles Out Punishment
The Mayor Doles Out Punishment

This was a very funny scene. even though I couldn't understand the Korean. The poor tourist! Glad it wasn't me!
PosersPosers
Posers

The children from the Korean family I was with, posing with the Korean guard statue.
Nagan Folk VillageNagan Folk Village
Nagan Folk Village

From atop the village wall
Changing of the GuardChanging of the Guard
Changing of the Guard

Nagan Village main gate
Seonam-saSeonam-sa
Seonam-sa

One of the temples close to Nagan


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb