Day 20 & 21, Daegu


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Daegu
July 3rd 2015
Published: July 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 20

Yesterday I went to the Haeinsa Temple. It's about 68 kilometers from Daegu and it took about 1 hour by bus. Haeinsa is a Buddhist temple built in 802 by two monks Suneung and Ijung. Along with the Tripitaka Koreana and Janggyeongpanjeon, 15 more public treasures and some 200 private treasures are enshrined at Haeinsa Temple. It was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1995 and Haeinsa is one of the Three Jewel Temples of Korea.

After visiting the temple area I decided to take the Haeinsa Sorigil trail. I could have waited the bus but I thought that it would be nice to see the trail. I have to say that it wasn't the best idea because it wasn't as short as I thought it would be. Luckily I had sneakers, cap and water because the terrain was quite hard and it was about +28 degrees.

When I had finished the trail I thought that I would be near the bus stop from where I could get back to Daegu, but I wasn't. After walking for 20 minutes I saw a bus coming and the bus driver was so nice and stopped in the middle of the road and let me in.

When I got back to Daegu I went to find a place to have dinner in Dongseongro Street. I went to a place called Sukkarak and had this really delicious food, which name I didn't find out. The food included pork, onions, noodles and a spicy sauce.

Day 21

Today I went to Gyeongju, which is about 88 kilometers from Daegu. Gyeongju was the capital of the kingdom of Silla (57 BC-935 AD) which ruled about two-thirds of the Korean Peninsula between the 7th and 9th centuries. In Gyeongju I went to see the Yangdong village. In Yangdong village, the nobility lived for generations and over 150 residental houses were built during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). The village was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2010.

I saw the Seobaekdang, head residence of the Wolseong Son clan, and Gwangajeong, which was built by Son Jung-don the Minister of Home Affairs during the Joseon Dynasty. Approximately 160 old houses and 500-year-old thatched-roof cottages are located in the valley, and 54 of these homes, are over 200 years old. There are still people living in the village, and school and some small cafés are located in there also.

Tomorrow I'm travelling to my second last destination Gwangju.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Yangdong villageYangdong village
Yangdong village

Seobaekdang, residence of the Wolseong Son clan
Yangdong villageYangdong village
Yangdong village

Gwangajeong, built by Son Jung-don the Minister of Home Affairs during the Joseon Dynasty


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb