Keep a lookout for Pirates


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
January 25th 2023
Published: January 25th 2023
Edit Blog Post

As we approach the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea and the Suez Canal, thoughts turn to the excitement of Egypt, ancient ruins (no not most of the passengers) and PIRATES. We all receive a letter from the Captain informing us that on the 21st we must all take part in the ship’s pirate drill.



Now I understand this does not involve wide spread issuance of parrots and tricorn hats. Neither is it a case of a free tot of rum to any passenger producing a peg leg to the bar staff. The rear open decks will be closed at night and the ship’s lights largely extinguished. In the event of an attack the passengers must gather outside their cabin and sit down on the floor. Given that we are deck 11 and a very considerable way above the sea it is unlikely any scurvy dog will clamber through our window but lower down, who knows. We are assured that we are in official navigation channels and naval ships will be in the area so no one is particularly worried. There is also a fundamental difference taking a merchant ship with a crew of 30 - 40 and a cargo of consumer / industrial goods etc and a cruise ship with 4000+ people many of whom have an interest collection of potentially life threatening medical conditions. One suspects the UK, US, Australia, and assorted European countries would be very quick indeed to deploy military forces to resolve any situation.



Last night’s entertainment was Geronwy Thom, a comedy juggling act. Now that may sound a little lame but he was one of the funniest acts we have ever seen. Assorted audience members were roped in and it culminated in him riding around a moving theatre stage on a 6’ giraffe unicycle juggling and generally causing (clearly well orchestrated) chaos. So good in fact the numerous people went back in to see It all over again at the second performance.



We didn’t go for a second viewing because we were winning another quiz, well it was history based, Ian’s specialist subject. If you want to know how sad he is, one question was “What was the date of the Battle of Waterloo?” Ian’s answer? Sunday 18th June 1815, see what I mean! They only wanted the year.





(By the way there are 12 official Disney Princesses, sorry for missing out the answer for our earlier teaser.)



The day arrives to carry out the ‘pirate drill’. The captain speaks over the P.A system and tells us a pirate attack is happening. We go to the outside of our cabin and sit on the floor along with all the other guests. The cabin staff check that we are present and reports back that everyone is present. We have security staff onboard and extra security equipment. We will be speeding through the pirate risk area so hopefully everything goes without a hitch.

The following day we transit through the Suez Canal. We start at 3.30am and complete the journey around 4pm. Ian and I go out on deck at around 7.30am. There is a heavy mist that makes it all seem very magical. We’re second in a convey of 21 ships, in between two container ships. The one behind us is one of the biggest in the world with over 19,000 containers on board!

What strikes you as you sail down the Suez is the different geography on each side of the canal. The west side is lush and green, with busy roads, and large urban areas. The east side is barren,just miles of sand and a road with no traffic. Further on we do see some quarrying of the sand.



Next stop Safarga, Egypt and a three and a half hour coach trip to the Valley of the Kings.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb