Cyprus


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus
April 25th 2024
Published: April 30th 2024
Edit Blog Post

NarcissusNarcissusNarcissus

Here we have Trump, ah Narcissus, admiring himself in his reflected image from a pool of water.
We begin this portion of the blog with our second afternoon in Cyprus. Thank god, or whoever made it occur, that it is no longer our first day. Much of the trip, and the entirety of locating our room, was a trip from hell that we believe would frighten the devil. Will not frighten you with the details but it is over.😁 The only bright spot that occurred was a shower during a layover at Heathrow early Wednesday. You know Heathrow, the place that HP said less than two years ago he would never see again. So, this statement joins the very extensive list of incorrect utterings by him.

Now for Cyprus, and by the way, this one edition will include the entire week here, so will be a bit long. Tad of history first, and we do mean a tad. The island has been through many iterations. She was actually a power in the ancient world, alas not in the same class with folks such as Egypt and the Hittites, but she weathered the world collapse of the 12th century BC better than almost anyone else growing stronger on trade, while the Hittite Civilization was destroyed by the economic
Miss Rome Pageant?Miss Rome Pageant?Miss Rome Pageant?

This mosaic depicts a beauty contest with the winner being crowned while displaying her "amazing" body to the judges.
collapse and the dark age that followed, and Egypt was permanently weakened. Furthermore about the time of the collapse this island is likely where the manufacture of iron was discovered moving the world from the bronze to the iron age. But this was a high point. Like everyone else she was absorbed by Rome with many invaders following. Independence was regained in 1960 from the UK, but unfortunately not before the British convinced her that driving on the wrong side of the road was actually better, ugh.

Believe we informed folks our movements would be slower than in the past. Well, not so in Cyprus. Here for only a week, but we will sleep in four different places! First off is Paphos. Limited activities on the first day including, of course, Roman structures. Actually, the Roman ruins (here including perhaps the best preserved Roman mosaics in the world) and a stroll around the harbor is about the extent of it. Travelers not so lazy could have seen much more.

Next day a few other locations with the most striking being ancient Kourion, certainty it's the Greek Theatre.

The first several days have been quite warm with your
House of DionysosHouse of DionysosHouse of Dionysos

We are attempting to offer you the scale of mosaics in this house. The picture is part of an Atrium, which in a Roman house is part of the public area where guests are received. The atrium that has been uncovered seems to measure thirty yards by twenty.
not so sturdy travelers showering twice occasionally. On the 26th we arrived in Lemesos, also on the south coast, but the heat has dissipated. Very pleasantly cool, low 70's. An extended stay occurs here-one night!

Continuing the rapid pace in Cyprus, we are now in Kyrenia, which is in the north. Crossing the border into the Turkish occupied area revealed an entirely different culture. As in Turkey, the flag is everywhere along with rather martial statues. Certainly contrasts with the easy going laid back vibe in the south where none of this is seen. Furthermore, at 4:50am the "call to prayer" exploded into our room. Yes, I mean explode-it would wake anyone. This loud penetrating eerie "singing" occurs five times per day. The Venetian Harbor here is fabulous, but we are looking forward to a return south.

Unfortunately, must here add a sad note. The harbor is small and beautiful but not able to capture the entire area with my camera as too close. So, we took out the drone for her maiden flight on this trip. Launched from the front of the building away from harbor as a large open porch area to launch and land. Flew
Venetian HarborVenetian HarborVenetian Harbor

The view from our balcony in Paphos. The squat looking thing at the far right is a fortress originally constructed by the Crusaders during the 14th century.
quite a distance out to sea in order to encompass the entire harbor and castle. Pictures recorded so we began the return. The drone returned to our view so we flew her over the building toward the landing area. As I walked from the harbor to the front received several emergency messages. Soon the drone informed me it could not continue flying and soon the monitor image disappeared but upon (crash) landing presented a picture of it's location. Looked about but not locating it, inquired of a couple of ladies at a restaurant, "yes we saw the drone, but two birds attacked it". Seriously? We continued the search with the drone later capturing a picture of a nearby man, then nothing. We suspect he absconded with our drone. A very expensive flight with no pictures and no aerial photography this trip!

Sorry about the rambling, disjointed nature of this post but things have been bit of a chore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Greek TheatreGreek Theatre
Greek Theatre

Did the Greeks have an eye for the dramatic? Imagine a play with this background. Constructed in the 2nd Century BC with some modifications later by Rome.
Early Christian ArtEarly Christian Art
Early Christian Art

Large house not far from the theater with an equally impressive view. Mosaic concerns the origin of the world.
Kolossi CastleKolossi Castle
Kolossi Castle

Constructed by the Knights Hospitaller in 1204 during the crusading era.
Venetian Walls Around Nicosia Venetian Walls Around Nicosia
Venetian Walls Around Nicosia

Quite impressive and extensive walls built to deter aggressors. Didn't work, the Turks took the place anyway.
Emperor Septimius SeverusEmperor Septimius Severus
Emperor Septimius Severus

This larger than life bronze statue of Severus was discovered by a farmer. There has been theorizing that he was black but there is no evidence of that being true. Yet, he is the first emperor from Africa, Severus being from modern Libya.
Venetian Harbor From AfarVenetian Harbor From Afar
Venetian Harbor From Afar

Took a short trip to St. Hilarion Castle, which has a long and varied history of which I will spare you, but the remains are dramatic, at least from a little distance. Somewhere along the route we observed a statue of a soldier in full combat attire apparently attacking an enemy. I volunteered for the military and served a tour, but really, this sort of thing near a historical site. We think the martial orientation in North Cyprus both reflects the citizens values, although we have no first hand evidence, and a continuing influence over ongoing beliefs of residents, of which we are certain. Not pleasant. Okay, back to the picture. This view is from the castle looking back down on Girne. Our Venetian Harbor is in the center. Look closely.
St. HilarionSt. Hilarion
St. Hilarion

View on the approach to the castle. A tad steep up there.
St. HilarionSt. Hilarion
St. Hilarion

Closer still. Will publish no pix of interior, which is a twisting maze of steps.
Girne Castle                          Girne Castle
Girne Castle

Back to our Venetian Harbor with us standing in the guarding castle snapping a shot of St. Hilarion. It is located at the bump just right of center (will show a bit of a zoon shot next). The foreground is the interior of the castle, and is not this place an actual fortress?
St. HilarionSt. Hilarion
St. Hilarion

The zoomed shot I promised.
Girne Castle                          Girne Castle
Girne Castle

View along the water side with the entrance below. A fully protected, if small, harbor.
Greek Trading VesselGreek Trading Vessel
Greek Trading Vessel

This fifty foot Greek trading ship succumbed to foul weather in approximately 300BC. The remains are on exhibit within the castle. bc
Girne Castle WallsGirne Castle Walls
Girne Castle Walls

Just outside the castle, well duh, depicting the impressive walls.
Dinner in the HarborDinner in the Harbor
Dinner in the Harbor

Yeah, not the best quality picture. Took with my iphone at night. Bird emphatically announces this to be her favorite experience in the north. She had grilled shrimp, while mine was salmon both on spewers hanging in front of us.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 18; qc: 21; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb