Mangalajodi, The Birds Paradise


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Orissa » Bhubaneswar
April 2nd 2017
Published: April 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Mangalajodi is a relatively unexplored tourism destination in the Khurda district of Odisha. This scenic village located on the northern banks of Asia’s largest brackish water lake; Chilika Lagoon just 75 kms from Bhubaneswar toward Berhampur, which is also a Ramsar site and popularly known as “Birds Paradise”.The climatic condition and the ecosystem attract more than 300 species of migratory and resident birds from different parts of the globe during the winter. This fragile eco-system hosts more than a lakh birds every year and along with the serenity it attracts nature lovers and wildlife enthusiast from all across the world. But, just before few decades the village was very much defamed as poachers’ village. Poaching of birds was rampant, one of the major sources of livelihood for the villagers along with large scale fishing and agriculture. The continuous and conscious effort by some government officials, community members, NGOs, the villagers became the protector of this destination and biodiversity after an alarming deterioration of its natural resources, especially the bird species. But the true transformation has been taken place with the introduction of ecotourism at Mangalajodi.

This unique destination offers Homestays and activities which include birding, photography, boating on marshes, etc. hosted by the local communities. The erstwhile poachers of the village have been actively patrolling and protecting birds in its marshes and showcasing an exemplary model of a sustainable source of livelihood in front of the entire world. It has been designated as an ‘Important Bird Area’ by Birdlife International for the significant global waterfowl habitat.

October to February is the best time to experience the true essence of Mangalajodi. Because the climatic condition during this time turns Mangalojodi in to the home of millions of birds. During summer the cool wind throughout the day from Chilika lagoon makes this place a comfortable destination for visitors. While in rainy season, the destination itself converts himself as a heaven for rain lovers. Now a days the local cuisines, crafts, dance forms and art forms also plays a vital role to attract tourist. Throughout the year; one can experience the local fairs, festivals and the colour of all season, which altogether makes this place an exotic destination.

The nearest airport to Mangalajodi is Biju Patnaik International Airport, the nearest major railway station is Khurda Road Jn.




&feature=youtu.be







Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb