The Caribbean coast


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke up to a boiling hot day, and stole a lot of toilet paper from the hotel we were in since they werent very nice to us.

We then exchanged some dollars that we had for bolivares at about 3500 per dollar, almost 1500 bolivares more than the official rate. And that still probably isnt the true value of the dollar.

Graeme confessed to me today that he suffers from panic attacks. This gave me a panic attack. And Caracas isnt really the place for panic attacks. So we decided to leave it, since we were constantly on the edge there. It´s a strange city Caracas, modern tube, highrise buildings and all that, but still very creepy - I didnt feel very safe there at any point, though maybe Graeme´s paranoia made me frightened!

Anyway we went to a bus terminal and caught a bus to this little town called Puerto La Cruz on the Caribbean coast of Venezuela. The view was gorgeous, and its no wonder that early European explorers described these beaches as paradise.

We found a cute little hostel, called Neptuno and went to bed after eating some shawarmas (they love Arabic food here!)...


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Long phone callsLong phone calls
Long phone calls

Graeme spent hours ringing car rental agencies until we finally got Avis to give us a Mitsubishi Lancer
DodgeDodge
Dodge

They´ve got funky old American cars here...we followed this old Dodge for a while
Me drivingMe driving
Me driving

Was a bit of a challenge, since I´m used to driving on the left side of the road, and here its on the right. And the car was lefthand drive..but I managed all right...
Clear clear waterClear clear water
Clear clear water

You could see down several feet, the water was so clear


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb